Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, this will be my first time posting here although I've gotten a lot of good info off this site over the years. I've posted progress thus far on a Bronco forum for the Bronco side of things and figured it would be worthwhile to do the same on the Powerstroke side

Here's the vehicles I will be using parts off of:

1988 Ford Bronco

2004 F250 frame. This was a 5.4 with automatic transmission extended cab short box

1997 F250 diesel with automatic. I bought this truck at a local Manitoba auction with a salvage title. I don’t know a whole lot about the truck except it was running a veggie oil setup that the previous owner took off, came with an auxiliary idle controller, has a positive air shutoff (for sale), banks intercooler, banks gauges, downpipe and exhaust, and I've never had it running. It cranked but wouldn’t start. It has ~187,000 km

It took a pretty good hit on the passenger side

Select Parts from my early 1999 F250. My daily driver bought it in 2007, stock

What I've got planned for the Bronco:

• Use the super duty axles from the 99 F250 with 3.73 gears. The front is a dana 50 (the 04 had a dana 60 with 4.10's so those axles front and rear are now in the 99). Wanted disc brakes and wheels and tires to interchange between the bronco and 99
• Leaf sprung front suspension (for now). I'll have to see how this will ride and how well the gas leaf springs from the 04 will hold up to the weight of the diesel. Any thoughts?
• Engine: dp tuner (have in the 99 and like it), DIY intake with AFE big boost (have), terminator modded HPOP (should be back from Joey soon), CCV mod (have), reuse the gauges, exhaust with an 08+ stock super duty tip, and intercooler
• RBP 91R in flat or gloss black, depending on paint choice
• 35x20 general grabber red letter tires or Nitto Trail Grapplers
• 97 front end conversion to look like the newer body style
• For paint I'm considering a matte pearl white like the Lamborghini Bianco Canopus with color matched bumpers, grill, headlight bezels. I also have a fab fours rear bumper that I want to put on but will have to modify the bumper or body

The bronco is currently at the lake so I am only able to work on it during the weekends so progress will be slow

The first thing I did was bolt in the rear 10.5. This bolted in with no problems it even looks like the e-brake brackets are the same and same distance from the axle from the 04 to the 88. The speed sensor also plugged right in. Brake lines aren't hooked up but I'll probably be using the booster, etc from the 97 so this can be done at a later time. The frame on the 04 looks like it is about 0.5" wider but the pins fell into the perches with no problems but I will keep an eye on it. One of those things that upon measuring doesn’t seem like it would work but did.

I'll try make a point of taking more pictures with a camera not just my blackberry

I put in the 04 F250 blocks only so I could tighten the U-bolts properly but I gained a couple inches of lift that I wasn’t looking for (used to barely fit in my garage with 35's). I'll have to play with blocks and angles when I see how far back the transfer case will sit. It looks like the rear leafs from the 04 would bolt in but I wasn’t sure how stiff the ride would be compared with the Pro Comp lift leafs I have in right now. The 04 leafs would probably sit about two inches lower but have four thicker leafs opposed to the five thinner leafs on the Pro Comps. Probably just get shorter U-bolts

I thought I should pull the engine before tackling the front suspension

The frame where the front hangers mount looks to be about 1.5" narrower on the Bronco so I'm thinking I'm going to cut the extra width I need off the 04 frame and weld it onto the bronco frame. I have the factory hangers from the 99 without that brace the 04 has so I will be using those. The brace will help for keeping things square when mocking it up. Might also be important to note I've never done any welding so it will most likely be my cousin coming down as he's a welder. For this reason the more that bolts into place the better.

I started getting both engines ready to pull while the tractor was at the lake but since it isn't anymore I will be shifting my attention to the front suspension

·
Back to Civilian Life!!
2,469 Posts
Yeah it looks like its going to be a BAMF. I'm subscribed.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Awesome. So you are using the bronco frame?

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts
Interesting build compared to how others have done it. Looking forward to see how it comes along.

·
Modded by a Chevy Express
425 Posts
Sweet buildup. That bronco looks great already, it'll get even better.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I chose to use the Bronco frame after seeing a couple done with the obs f250 frame and even a shortened super duty frame, like I was originally going to do, but something always looked off about them. I'm sure there are advantages to doing it that way but I wasn't prepared to spend the money straightening the damaged frame when I already had a straight Bronco frame.

I got around to working on the Bronco this weekend. It was mostly just tearing apart the interior on the 97.

Ended putting the rad support on the bronco
I also cut off the front section of the SD frame to size it up to the bronco frame and see where I will need to cut/weld to graft them together. I cut a larger section than I would need just so I don't find myself wishing I had more to work with. Structurally I'm not sure what technique would result in the strongest bond between the two. The pictures don't really show much but at first glance it looks like this will work out well. I'm also going to have to cut some off the top of the bronco frame infront of the rad support to keep the frame rails a consistend height at the front since the frame rails get taller from the rad support forward. (the markings were a rough guideline and wont be followed)

I've also had some parts come in over the past couple weeks:
For the Bronco

Crank Case Vent Kit. Need to make some sort of filter before this goes on

And parts for 99 which will take some more time away from this project
The pump from the 97 I sent into Jody at Terminator looking like this

Got it back looking like this

This will be going on the 99 and the that pump will go out to Joey again and go on the bronco
Also a pre-pump kit

If anybody has any recommendations for any of these mods please let me know.

·
425 Posts
You going with electric fuel, or staying mechanical?

I can't see the Bronco frame being a problem. The 250/350 will be a bit thicker in the rail steel, but that's it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Staying mechanical for now. I'm going with the 'If it aint broken' mentality. I'll be looking into electric fuel when I start seriously considering injectors

·
Just another OBS addict
1,006 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The T-500 is going on my early 99 that needs an upgrade. The pump from the early 99 is going to Joey to be modded. Then it will be going on the Bronco engine. This way I will avoid any downtime

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a few weeks away from it I got back to working on the Bronco. Got the engines, transmissions, and transfer cases pulled from each truck. With help from my dad, uncle, and a tractor

Here you can compare the two crossmembers. They look very similar. The bracket from the F250 looks like it will bolt right into the holes on the bronco crossmember, I haven't unbolted it and tried yet though.
Bronco

F250

And rearranged them so I can now work on/finish the Bronco in the garage.

Something unrelated but figure I should try...
Does anyone happen to have a couple of these 'pivot adjusters'? I've also read that they can also be found on F150 headlights.

I was trying to swap out my 99 headlights for some 04 headlights on my truck and after pulling them realized that I require two of these. Wet sanded and polished the lenses and was looking forward to being able to see at night this coming winter.

Thanks

·
425 Posts
The passenger bracket drops right in. The driver's side requires 1 hole to be drilled out and a plate to tie the front upper corner to the x-member. You'll probably need to remove the V8 mounts.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Here's how I did my bronco.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Please tell me you're keeping all the Bronco sheet metal. Having the older nose adds to the cool factor of a psd conversion imo.

1 - 20 of 245 Posts