Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm going to be ordering all the stuff I need for my headgasket job on my 04 Excursion 6.0

My lack of organizing skills and my ADD get the best of me. So please don't mind if I ask the same question that 100 other people have at random.

Where are the best places to find all of this stuff? I have a local dealer ship that i can get the factory stuff for 20% off. and the rest i plan on buying online but don't know whom to go with.

I need

Headgasket kit

T-Stat and gasket

Serp belt

Glow plug harness Both sides

DC alternator

ARP studs

Injectors (I'm not sure if i shouldn't just wait on this step)

Turbo (Same, Internal damage minimum, but various chunks missing from the fins and mild pitting on the unison rings and vanes working fine for now, but will this cause an issue under normal driving conditions?)

I have the Bulletproof oilcooler setup and the EGR cooler ( Will buying the delete screw with WA emissions / Will it benefit me to delete the EGR valve ?)

What gaskets are not commonly supplied with the headgasket kit?

Cat ELC-1 coolant

I'm on a "Budget", a budget of a 6.0 owner... I want to do it right, but not go overboard with things until it's needed.

Do i wait on the injectors and turbo until later?

thanks!

Nick

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
Doing the head gasket job on my own. If you're looking for a ball park number, I'm done buying parts, fluids, and the odds&ends for $2500.

Head gaskets from ford come in a kit that does only one side. The kit has the gasket, head bolts, and mine came with the oil stand pipe.

·
Banned
328 Posts
So i'm going to be ordering all the stuff I need for my headgasket job on my 04 Excursion 6.0

My lack of organizing skills and my ADD get the best of me. So please don't mind if I ask the same question that 100 other people have at random.

Where are the best places to find all of this stuff? I have a local dealer ship that i can get the factory stuff for 20% off. and the rest i plan on buying online but don't know whom to go with.

I need

Headgasket kit

T-Stat and gasket

Serp belt

Glow plug harness Both sides

DC alternator

ARP studs

Injectors (I'm not sure if i shouldn't just wait on this step)

Turbo (Same, Internal damage minimum, but various chunks missing from the fins and mild pitting on the unison rings and vanes working fine for now, but will this cause an issue under normal driving conditions?)

I have the Bulletproof oilcooler setup and the EGR cooler ( Will buying the delete screw with WA emissions / Will it benefit me to delete the EGR valve ?)

What gaskets are not commonly supplied with the headgasket kit?

Cat ELC-1 coolant

I'm on a "Budget", a budget of a 6.0 owner... I want to do it right, but not go overboard with things until it's needed.

Do i wait on the injectors and turbo until later?

thanks!

Nick
Really if ur wanting to do anything to the truck do it while u have everything apart. Hate to put it all back together and then have to take it apart again..
The turbo if ur missing chunks Id definitely do something with it.

Id add the 6.4 banjo bolts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Strokin Roughneck
118 Posts
I would stay away from 6.4 banjo bolts a ford tech told me they could cause injector failure.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts
I would stay away from 6.4 banjo bolts a ford tech told me they could cause injector failure.
Did he explain? I don't doubt someone told you that, but it doesn't make sense to me and would like to know his reasoning

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,487 Posts
I completely disagree with that how could putting the 6.4 banjo bolts which will increase fuel flow especially at WOT cause injector failure. It actually if anything is a preventative and does the exact opposite potentially lengthening the life of the injectors by making sure they are getting the proper amount of fuel. I did extensive research on this as well as asked my diesel mechanic who worked at Ford on diesels for 13+ years specifically the 6.0s for the majority of this and he reccomend I get them as well as has them on his truck. I have never seen a thread or issue with anyone saying 6.4 banjo bolts lead to failing injectors. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ford head gaskets are good. We use them plus installing ARP headstuds. Like stated you only get one in a kit, so you will need two kits. If interested, I have two victor reinz kits here that I will send you one for the shipping. They are the 18mm dowels. If you get a discount at Ford, then use the injector harnesses, and thermostats, and what ever other parts you can get. If doing injectors, get Alliant Power or Industrial Injection ones. Those are what we use here at the shop. If doing a turbo upgrade, the Powermax is a great option. They work well and spool nice. If using the same one, try installing a new compressor wheel and cleaning the unison ring. I think you will be happier with using a Powermax turbo. You are spending a few $$ anyway, do the job right. Buy once, cry once. Not sure what your emissions law are but I would delete the EGR cooler and valve if possible.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Ford head gaskets are good. We use them plus installing ARP headstuds. Like stated you only get one in a kit, so you will need two kits. If interested, I have two victor reinz kits here that I will send you one for the shipping. They are the 18mm dowels. If you get a discount at Ford, then use the injector harnesses, and thermostats, and what ever other parts you can get. If doing injectors, get Alliant Power or Industrial Injection ones. Those are what we use here at the shop. If doing a turbo upgrade, the Powermax is a great option. They work well and spool nice. If using the same one, try installing a new compressor wheel and cleaning the unison ring. I think you will be happier with using a Powermax turbo. You are spending a few $$ anyway, do the job right. Buy once, cry once. Not sure what your emissions law are but I would delete the EGR cooler and valve if possible.
Or go to jesse warren at warren diesel for injectors

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've heard alot of good things about Warren injectors, Like wise with MTW turbo.

while i'm trying to replace any thing that needs to be, I don't feel like spending the most money on each option.

I already have an SCT tuner, (Which is were i think my problem started for me)

Thanks everyone for the heads up on the head gaskets one per box.

·
Registered
59 Posts
so ive got 2 head gasket kits from international I bought,didnt know you get head gaskets when you buy ford reman heads,ill look up what I paid and make you a deal,im in Woodinville,no frieght

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm assuming it's they're the same thing right?

I'm pretty sure i've got the 18MM pins, Sticker on the motor says 2004. What other info do i need to look at to determine date?

That'd be tottaly sweet!

·
Registered
22 Posts

I'm pretty sure i've got the 18MM pins, Sticker on the motor says 2004. What other info do i need to look at to determine date?

That'd be tottaly sweet!
When I ordered mine I looked at the build date on the drivers side door jam to see when the truck was on the assemble line.

·
The Muscle Hamster
233 Posts

That'd be tottaly sweet!
04 should be 18mm. When I ordered mine, everyone told me it was a crap shoot on 05+, but 04 should be 18mm

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are there any vendors on here that are recommended?

I Don't think i've seen any vendor team up with MTW or Warren for a major package deal.

River city is the only place i've seen that had a decent "complete kit" for roughly $1900, Does this sound right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are there any vendors on here that are recommended?

I Don't think i've seen any vendor team up with MTW or Warren for a major package deal.

River city is the only place i've seen that had a decent "complete kit" for roughly $1900, Does this sound right?
I just ordered egr delete, oem oil cooler, sinister coolant filter, arp head studs, oem gaskets with stands, oem intake, exhaust gaskets, turbo bolts, and sct tuner for just under 1700 shipped from Rudy's diesel as a package deal they made when I called.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts