Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 wheel drive quit working the other day. I have Warn manual hubs so its not a vacuum leak or anything. You can hear the solenoid activate when you flip the switch in the cab, but no 4x4 light and no 4x4. No fuses are blown. Would a bad relay be the cause or would we be looking at a new transfercase motor? I havent checked the relays, are they under the hood to the right of the master cylinder? How can you tell if they are bad?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 4x4 light does not light up when I first turn the key to start it either.

·
Stroker in Training
114 Posts
Don't laugh.... check your battery cables. My 4x4 would work one day then not work again for a month, then work once again for a day and then nothing for 1 to 2 months again. I tried TC motor and a dash switch. Then one day my truck was dead and when I hooked up the cables to my passenger battery, the positive lead was loose enough to remove by fingers. I had never touched that battery before. I tightened it and now my 4x4 has worked every time for the last 2 months. Coincident??? I think not.

·
Stroker in Training
114 Posts
Also when i tested the switch there was no power to it at all. Same thing for the TC motor.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well now this morning the 4x4 wont turn off. I could definitley har the transfer case lock as well. Does this seem like it could be a bad switch in the dash?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So when I turn the switch to try and get it our of 4x4 I can hear a ratcheting/clicking sound, but it will not disengage. Im assuming everything is getting power and my transfer case motor is just shot? Any help?

·
Stroker in Training
114 Posts
In Ford's troubleshooting guide it says to drive forward above 20 mph for at least 10 seconds to try to help the TC motor out. And reverse above 5 mph for 10 secs. I got the entire 4wd troubleshooting guide from the local Ford garage, they were nice enough to print the 48 page section for me. I'm working on scanning it so I can load it up on here.

·
Registered
691 Posts
i had to take the actuator off connected to the transfer case and clean it and put it back.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Broke down and brought it to the dealership to get the codes read. Transfer case motor was bad. They also said it was possibly the gem. They wanted close to $800 to replace the TC motor. I laughed and told them I can get the part for $106 online and it takes 15 minutes to change out. They wanted over 300 in labor, and think 475ish for the part.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i had similar troubles, came to be the wires at the trans were wiggling , had 2 bad wires.
cleaned up, checked, tied wiring up tight so offroading wouldn't snag them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took about 20 minutes to change out the TC motor and bolt the skid plate back on. Presto, good as new. $122.xx to get the part and overnight shipping. Sure beats $800 at the dealership. I bought my truck from them too, needless to say they wont be getting anymore business from me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts