Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Certified Engine Destroye
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer spits some pretty good game on his stuff. Just about has me convinced to switch to it. So what's the general consensus of using this in the 6.0?? I'm up for anything that will save my motor, improve mileage, and reduce number of oil changes.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I run Amsoil in my 7.3.... but from what I read... the oil will sheer too much to go above 5k on a 6.0...making it pointless. I'm currently running 10k on an extended service filter, and plan on 20k+ on a double-bypass. (With UOA support.) You won't be getting better mileage, anyway. Just better cold starts, and longer lasting (vs. Dino) oil.

And IF you decide to go the Amsoil route... buy a "preferred membership" it's much cheaper than buying at retail price.... and $20/year.

JMO

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy cow your font is loud!

Have the preferred and the single bypass.

What do you mean by sheer?

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thats really informative. I appreciate that.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This leads me to more questions though.
How much pressure is involved during shearing at the rod mains and cam compared to the injectors?

I guess what I'm getting at is this page geared more towards a gasoline engine or diesel.

Are our diesels more susceptible to shear than a gasoline engine due to the higher injection pressures and the injection process itself.

And with all this being said it makes wonder if the motor craft oil or rotella is any less or better than the Amsoil and other competeting brands.

·
Registered
701 Posts
This leads me to more questions though.
How much pressure is involved during shearing at the rod mains and cam compared to the injectors?

I guess what I'm getting at is this page geared more towards a gasoline engine or diesel.

Are our diesels more susceptible to shear than a gasoline engine due to the higher injection pressures and the injection process itself.

And with all this being said it makes wonder if the motor craft oil or rotella is any less or better than the Amsoil and other competeting brands.
Oh yeah, the HEUI system from the HPOP to the Injectors causes a lot of shear. Synthetic is more resistant to sheer, which is why it generally lasts longer. The biggest 2 reasons oil needs to be changed in an engine is oil shear (loss of viscosity) and high amounts of soot in the oil. A bypass will help filter the soot out...which is why a proper bypass can extend your oil changes. But the 6.0 system is harder on the oil than the 7.3's.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK cool. That connects a few dots for me. Unfortunately though I'm still on the fence about Amsoil. . . . .

·
Registered
701 Posts
OK cool. That connects a few dots for me. Unfortunately though I'm still on the fence about Amsoil. . . . .
If it was me, I'd just run Rotella T6. I love Amsoil... but If I'm only getting 5k out of it, it's not worth it, IMO. I still think a full synthetic is much better. That said, if you did the UOA's and they came back positive... by all means switch over. But I don;t know anyone doing much over 506k on a 6.0.

·
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, he tried to tell me i could go 25k between changes. I told him he was crazy then he proceeded to tell me about a semi that was going 200k between changes.

1. I don't drive a semi.
2. I don't care how awesome their oil is I'm not waiting 25k to change my oil.

Have any idea how far some of the guys are going with a bypass until UOA's fail? Specifically which type of oils, and which lasted longer?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Why are the 6 liter systems harder on the oil?
From what I have read, the HPO system is just harder on the oil than the 7.3's. Again... I don't have a 6.0 so I'm going of of other's posts/experience. Search around, as with any "oil" topic, it has been discussed multiple times.

Ya, he tried to tell me i could go 25k between changes. I told him he was crazy then he proceeded to tell me about a semi that was going 200k between changes.

1. I don't drive a semi.

Have any idea how far some of the guys are going with a bypass until UOA's fail? Specifically which type of oils, and which lasted longer?
Semis have a much larger oil capacity than our trucks do. In the end, if you want longer oil changes, the key is a good synthetic, good filtration, and UOA's to back it up.

UOA's are very important because it not only is going to read wear metals (and potential sources of those metals) but if there is any coolant, fuel dilution, as well as viscosity and remaining additives in the oil.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Why are the 6 liter systems harder on the oil?
The 6.0 HPOP runs a lot of pressure and is VERY tough on oil and will shear a 40 wt oil very quickly.

1. I don't drive a semi.

A semi has sumps that are twice the size of ours and most modern semis use CR engines that don't shear oil like a HEUI system. So the biggest worry is contaminates one thing most modern oils do very well.

One thing to note 10w-30s oils seem to do well in 6.0 applications...

6.0 oil analysis on Rotella T-5 10w-30. You will probably like this. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Amsoil makes a nice 10w-30 for diesels as well, I wouldn't run it for 25k however.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
everyone needs to read the fine print. for the last 7 years Amsoil has NOT recommend the use of extended intervals on MOST cars... more smoke and mirrors from the MLM Amsoil group

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I wont use it solely because a guy I used to work with, who was a know it all that knew nothing, said he used it. So based on that I would never use it.

He once told me his 5.7L chevy was a 6 cyl. I hated that guy, glad that jacka$$ was fired.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
I ran amsoil 10-40 in my 6.0 at 15k mile changes with no issues

1 - 16 of 16 Posts