Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got around to reading the directive sent out by amsoil oh , about 2 years ago , that because of all the ridiculous emission crap thats on the 07 and newer diesels I need to go ahead and change my oil at the regular manufacture specified intervals. Well damn, I just bought my 07 so I didnt know all that! Coulda saved a bunch of money in an oil change if I knew I couldnt leave it in there any longer than regular oil. Live and learn I guess!

·
Registered
652 Posts
There is no difference in the 03-07 PSD just some good changes to fittings for the better, the 6.0 shear oil by the injectors any good 5w40 Syn oil will work i like Amsoil 5w40 and the max is about 5000 miles even with the oil by-pass some will go 7500-10000 not me, i pull a heavy 5er and i want my motor to last plus i send in my oil to be sampled.
2 stroker

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont really see the advantage of using amsoil then, I thought the whole draw of amsoil was the ability to go for so much longer, hell, I know guys who have put 20k on their oil. If I can only go 5k I may as well go back to rotella or something, ran it in my 7.3 and my 12 valve and never had a problem. Dont see paying amsoils ridiculous prices for the same drain intervals,

·
Registered
652 Posts
I dont really see the advantage of using amsoil then, I thought the whole draw of amsoil was the ability to go for so much longer, hell, I know guys who have put 20k on their oil. If I can only go 5k I may as well go back to rotella or something, ran it in my 7.3 and my 12 valve and never had a problem. Dont see paying amsoils ridiculous prices for the same drain intervals,
I have to agree with you the others will work just fine, i put about 5k on my 06 and about 5k on my 97 a year so i change the oil in both once a year i use Delvac 15w40 Dino oil in my 97 have for over 10 years back when it was a 1200 series it works well oil samples have all been great but the 7.3 is not a 6.0 they need a good Syn oil any of the good ones will work. Glad the info was of some help:postwhore2:
2 stroker

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
There hasn't been any real gains from running extended intervals. Plenty out there will get their oil tested and change as directed.

I have tried just about every readily available 5w40 oil. My experience has proven the motor will tell you what to run.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason I went to amsoil was the extended change intervals, I have two buddies with 05 trucks who have sent their samples in and have both ended up going 15k plus with just changing the filter and have had no problems. But even at prefered customer prices its still a very pricey oil change if its only good for 5k. Im gonna do my samples and see what happens and how far I can go, but I doubt I will use the amsoil again.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
you CANNOT do extended drain intervals on a 6.0. The injectors are fired off high pressure oil to the tune of 4,000 psi. These motor shear oil from 40w to 30w in no time.

Some people get 8k oil of good quality synthetics with bypass oil filtration but thats the MAX I would go with making sure to test the oil along the way.

Then again, its your truck not mine

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have tested my oil at 8,000 with a bypass oil filter with good results using mobil 1. Im going 9,000 on this interval and test to see how it does.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the BPD oil system in my truck and switched over to Chevron Delo 400 and one bottle of Rev-x. I will test my oil when the next change comes up at 5K miles. Theoretically, I should be able to go longer with the additive and the larger amount of oil flowing through.

Now that I have the Fumoto valve installed on the oil pan, I can easily get a sample without making a mess. I can then sen it off and wait to see if i can run it longer with this setup.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
i've got amsoil 5w-30 in the truck now. I put less than 5K miles on it a year and change the oil twice a year. I just like having clean oil in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts