Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody here was running amsoil on there 6.4's and if anybody had a bypass oil filter on. I have 1 but haven't installed it yet. i really like their products

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
i run amsoil but dont have the bypass filter

·
Registered
273 Posts
thinking myself of running the bypass. With EGR dumping soot in the oil would be a good idea to run one. Might be able to then stretch the oil changes.

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
what is the purpose of the bypass oil filter?

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
is the bypass nessesary if you have the egr delete and your not getting the soot back into the oil?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the bypass filters the oil down to 2 microns which is amazing, extends oil changes but more importantly lubes better. amsoil also lubes well under i heat more than moble 1. i know a few ppl in a 6.0 that have over 300k and took the motors apart and had little to no wear on the pistons and cylinders, cams everything and.... it gets you better MPG but am not to sure you wood see that much of a differnce

·
Registered
16 Posts
what is the purpose of the bypass oil filter?
A bypass filter is a external partial flow filter system that takes oil from the system at a rate greatly reduced from the flowrate coming from the oil pump. It filters the oil very slowly and far more thoroughly compared to the engines full flow filter, which flows oil at the rate the pump is putting it out. In the case of the Amsoil bypass system mentioned above that rate is .4 gallons per minute at sub-micron effiency ...1/10th of one micron. The idea behind these types of filter systems is you have "analytically" clean oil all the time reducing wear and extending the service life of the oil

·
<---- sold
232 Posts
I have run it in the past but could not tell a diff so switched back to mystic

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
A bypass filter is a external partial flow filter system that takes oil from the system at a rate greatly reduced from the flowrate coming from the oil pump. It filters the oil very slowly and far more thoroughly compared to the engines full flow filter, which flows oil at the rate the pump is putting it out. In the case of the Amsoil bypass system mentioned above that rate is .4 gallons per minute at sub-micron effiency ...1/10th of one micron. The idea behind these types of filter systems is you have "analytically" clean oil all the time reducing wear and extending the service life of the oil
ok so if it flows at that much slower of a rate i would take it you use the bypass and the factory fiter to so you get still get a good rate of oil were it needs it? your not eliminating the factory filter right?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not at all. the factory filter still stays their ur jus pulling oil from that flow of oil and filtering it w/ the bypass go to powerstrokehelp.com and look at bills bypass system on the 6.0 he explans everything u want to know about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ok so if it flows at that much slower of a rate i would take it you use the bypass and the factory fiter to so you get still get a good rate of oil were it needs it? your not eliminating the factory filter right?
With the newer Power strokes that have the cartrige filter you still use the factory filter and the by-pass system is an add on to that. With the older
(7.3's) that have a spin on filter you use a adapter that screws on where the factory filter goes. this adapter has 2 hose connections that go to the bypass mount which has 1 full flow filter (flows oil at normal rates) and 1 bypass element (flows oil at a reduced rate) with that system the factory filter is eliminated

·
Registered
16 Posts
thinking myself of running the bypass. With EGR dumping soot in the oil would be a good idea to run one. Might be able to then stretch the oil changes.
The new Nano fiber media bypass filters that Amsoil came out with are submicron and are effective at removeing soot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts