Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to be due for an oil change and im thinking about switching to Amsoil oil. I have made some calls to customer service and asked questions but now i want yalls input on this stuff. Is it worth the hype? Can you really go 10,000 miles on it? My truck has 120,000 miles on it and its been on Rotella 15w-40 with Wix filters and im wanting to change it to Amsoil oil and filter. Will there be anything special i need to do to swap it over? Anythink like an engine flush or can i just drop the oil and filter and refill it and put a new filter on it?

I want any/all input you have, good or bad. I need to know before i buy it this week.

Thanks guys

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
someone has to know about this

·
Registered
572 Posts
my 7.3 seems to like Schaeffers 5w40 syn, UOA say its has been just fine up to 6K miles or 6 months, what ever comes first

never been a fan of Amsoil products

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Amsoil fluids is all that i use,but i wouldn't run any oil to 10,000 miles.It probly could go to that milage though,but not in my trucks.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How often do you change the amsoil then?

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
I start checking it with an oil anaylist at 6500 to 7000 and go from there...its kinda hard to say on my avitor because last year i put less than 1000 miles on it.:doh:

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im planning on switching and changing the oil at 7500

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Thats about right for me also.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you use the marine/diesel 15w-40 oil?

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im planning on doing the oil analysis @ 5,000, 7,500, 10,000(i doubt i personally let it go this far)

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
im planning on doing the oil analysis @ 5,000, 7,500, 10,000(i doubt i personally let it go this far)
I couldnt, but some people do. I hear people with amsoil and schaeffers going that long. I dont drive me truck enough for me to even try. My oil gets changed about every 6 months and that usually much less than 5k miles.

And I know some UOA will tell you how much sooner/longer or to change the oil at the same interval...

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if i can go 7500 i think that would be perfect for me. Not only would i be saving money with all the benefits that amsoil will give the truck but i would almost be doubling the change interval since i change my oil anywhere between 3000-4000

·
Addicted to DIESEL!
37 Posts
only thing to keep in mind is that its a lower viscosity oil so if u have any leaks it will make it worse.

Ive thought about runnin it cuz i can get it at dealer cost but im goin to wait til i build up a motor and run it from day 1.

Also look at the oil bypass filter kit. Then u could go to 25k just changing the filters AMSOIL - By-pass Oil Filter Mounting Kits

Just my.02.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Amsoil series 3000 5w-30 and amsoil oil filter and I change the filter at 10,000 and the oil at 20,000 been doin it that way for the last 180,000. If you do oil sampling be sure to send a sample of new oil so the lab has a base to go from.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Before anyone rules out changing their oil at 10,000 mile intervals, you need to do oil analysis.

I've done mine on the last three changes (5000,7000,10000) through Blackstone labs.

Every and I mean EVERY time they give recommendations on your engine wear amounts and how long you can extend the oil change interval.

Coincidentally i just got my 10,000 mile oil change results today from them.

They showed normal wear, nothing abnormal and Blackstone recommended extending my change interval to 12,000.

Basically at $25 per oil test, it's already paid for itself since I would have done 2-3 more oil changes at $100 plus a pop.

I actually am going to consider changing to Amsoil synthetic from Rotella 5W40 next change.

When you get a oil test ALWAYS request a TBN (Total Base Number) test, this is a indication of acidity of the oil and is the number one indicator in telling how much life is left in the oil.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Do ya'll get the sample when you change the oil? How do you get a hold of someone to get a UOA? I am thinking of running the by-pass kit just because I put 400 to 500 miles a week on my truck these oil changes are getting crazy. I run mine to 10k miles right now before the oil change but change the filter at 5k.

·
Waitin' on 500
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my oil will be here thursday along with the filter

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a lab called "Wear Check" at work and once you send a couple samples in you can actually see "trends" of you oil compartment to help you forsee any issues. I would recomend doing a sample at the half way mark if you extend changes way out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts