Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running this system for a while now, but am getting tired of 50.00 worth of filters, and having to order them. Not being able to change my oil when I have time, ect...
I was told by one of the "Dealers", (the guy who is in the pyramid scheme,) you be a dealer, and then get others to pay the 25.00 a year to be a "Preferred customer" and get a discount, They make money every time YOU order something,,,,,ect.... Blah Blah, Blah,,,,
That there were no filters that crossed, that the threads were Propitiatory to Amsoil,, I took him on his word for a while,, then called Amsoil.

DON'T get me wrong, I AM NOT dissing Amsoil,, just the way you have to go about purchasing the products,,,

Well, the tech department at Amsoil told me what filters cross over to the EA-026 and the BP-100.

These filters are off the shelf at O'Rileys PH8A and 3976A
I just put them onto the filter head for the Dual Bypass.
The PH 3976 is off a Cummins. The PH8 I am not sure what it's off of.

Now, I UNDERSTAND that one is not a "Bypass" filter, and may not filter down to the same microns,,, but if I keep my oil changed like I normally do, I feel it should be just fine. And I should still benefit with a "Dual filtration" system.

Just an info note to anyone who is also tired of paying that much, and having to order them.

·
owner/president
2,768 Posts
Thanks for the info and research.

·
Strokin' in Green Bay
68 Posts
Thanks a lot for that info! I am running the same system as you and often wondered if there were different filters we could use.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No problem guys, it took me a couple years to finally call and see for sure.

I know it's a quality system, but really hate having to order them. And can't see the sense of having two spares sitting on the shelf all the time.

I have them on, started it, oil pressure is fine, no leaks. The seals and openings are exactly the same,, only the one off the 3976 is slightly smaller around for the filter housing than the BP100.

·
Registered
692 Posts
The PH8A should be the Ford FL1A.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Nowhere near the filtration capacity. If you want to let small bits of metal (and I mean really small) and the soot particles stay in your oil and completely defeat the purpose of a bypass setup, go for it.
A bypass setup will extend engine life.
You want to see a pyramid? Hmm... Gee... Lets see... 1 CEO, a few officials under him, a few under each of them, a few under them.... Narrow at the top, wide at the bottom. Last I checked.... That looks like a pyramid!
Don't diss on a business system that has worked for years just because you'd rather not be a part of it.

PH8A is off of the majority of Ford engines from the 90's and earlier.

If you are going to get a full-flow filter to put on that filter head, the best filtration you can get will come from a Purolator PureONE PL30001.

I'd imagine that filter head limits flow to a minute amount, as most bypass setups.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the best filtration you can get will come from a Purolator PureONE PL30001.
I thank you very much for the info...
And just because a "System" has worked for years,, doesn't mean it's the best.
Tell me,, why doesn't Amsoil just sell their stuff across the counter? Don't you really think they would sell more? It just pisses me off, that I have to PAY 25.00 a year to buy their stuff,, and even then at not such a "Reasonable Price" nearly 50.00 for two filters? Sheesh,,,
I'll run that Purolator one next change I am sure...

Oh,, and as far as filtration goes,, there are about a bizillion HIGH MILE 7.3L's running around that still only use ONE stock filter,,,, :doh:
What do they know?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The one point of it defeating the use of bypass is correct. I do not like amsoil marketing strategy either but that is off topic. The fact is you are not gaining much for the added cost by running a dual filter with both being free flowing filters. You are not even getting the full flow capacity of the one in the bypass position as it is only seeing at most 10% flow. The PL30001 for the cost is a good filter but would not call it best but when you add in cost its a good value for the budget minded. There are many high mileage 7.3 out there no doubt but there are many more worn out at much lower mileage. The idea behind bypass is for either those looking for the cleanest oil possible especially given the HEUI or those wanting longer OCI or a combo of those two. If you are not going to use the bypass low mic filter than I would suggest selling the unit and going back to the standard factory mount on the cooler. You could then use something like the fleetguard LF-9691 which is a venturi dual full flow bypass filter with a much larger capacity than standard spec 7.3 filter. Baldwin and donaldson also have similar dual filter tech oil filters.
In fact its donaldson not amsoil that creates develops and manf those filters that have amsoil labels. The game is not that big in filter manf nut there are plenty of labeled brands.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Wonder what the filter cost is for the big systems.. ie
Fs2500, amsoil, the toilet paper jobbie, and the filtergaurd. Not sure on that name?
But the one haulin horses2 uses

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
NAPA 1792XD crosses over from the LF-9691 just FYI $21.20 with tax.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
not to derail...

anyone know the thread's for the factory oil filter?

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
1-1/2 x 16

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
Here are some pictures of the 1792XD NAPA filter referenced above. This thing is a monster. I got it today and will try to install it during my next oil change this weekend. I did not have the 1995 filter to compare it with. If it installs I will take some pictures of it mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
NAPA here sells Amsoil.

And it surpasses WIX in filtration capabilities. Unless the SAE is wrong lol.

Purolator's normal filter is a bit better than a Fram. Their PureONE is on top of the full-flow market last I checked, with Wix/NAPA Gold in a close 2nd.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Amsoil is a re-labeled Donaldson Endurance ELF filter. All of Amsoil filters are Donaldson with only a few exceptions that are caused by patents. Donaldson filters that use their patented microfiber. A very good oversized oil filter is the Donaldson P554105 has a extra quart capacity and has a 99.99% 12 absolute mico filtering Beta ratio 12=10000 which put is sub 5 at 50% nominal and has better flow IIRC the numbers correctly. Its a direct cross for the LF9691. Make sure to check OD spec when you go looking at filters as once you get to around 5" it will have clearance issue with the oil pan. With the above Don and LF filters your oil fill ends up being 4 gallons. They are just shy of 12"OAL.

In the end there can be all the fancy talk by the various company's about there new high tech this or that but its filter Beta Ratio, Flow rate, debris holding capacity are the bottom line on filtering and perf. As all of these are premium filters the actual construction is not an issue. The Donaldson starts to approach the top end full bypass filters capabilities.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Some very good info in this thread. At least there are some options being presented for alternative filters to the Amsoil brand.

As long as everyone is touting their preferred brand and quoting specs of it's filtering ability, is anyone using the Filter Magnet?

I've been using two, one on each filter of my Amsoil Dual Bypass system for a few years now.

Regardless of what filters you choose to use, I think the Filter Magnet can only be further insurance to good filtration.

If you've seen or used one these magnets you understand what a neodymium magnet is capable of. These things are strong. So strong that the product comes with a warning about avoiding your fingers getting pinched when the magnet begins to come in proximity to metal.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not trying to derail but what does a magnet do at the bottom of an oil filter. I ask because is there that much iron coming off the block or is there that much iron in the oil? it shouldn't affect soot or bearing wear, so how effective is it. I didn't really phrase that as a question but thats how I meant it.

micky

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
So these filters run half the price or so?
So the pair is 42 and the amsol are 100 a set or
Is the amsoil 50 a set and the others 42

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The ones I used, the part numbers I quoted are both full flow filters, total cost for them both is like 11.00 or something. Now, I will be checking the others mentioned here, and if I can still utilize a bypass filter in the dual setup, I'll do that. However I feel that with two filters, I am still doing ok for my filtration right now. YES I know it's not to the microns the other does, but the oil still goes through twice the filtration,,, sort of.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not trying to derail but what does a magnet do at the bottom of an oil filter. I ask because is there that much iron coming off the block or is there that much iron in the oil? it shouldn't affect soot or bearing wear, so how effective is it. I didn't really phrase that as a question but thats how I meant it.

micky
Check out their web site. They have multiple pics of filters cut open showing the metal collected by the magnet. The magnet doesn't care where the iron comes from. The mteal can from the block or any other component containg iron. If the magnet catches any iron at, it's done it's job. Same reason diff covers and tranny pans now come with magnet drain plugs / dipsticks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts