Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an Amsoil bypass filter system and Amsoil 15w-40 Synthetic Oil. Fired truck up oil pressure came up and then after about 2 minutes running it seemed to get louder. When I went to test drive it, I have almost no power then the service engine soon light came on. I pulled back in the driveway and shut it down. I conected my code reader and started it back up. It will start but after about 30 seconds in shuts down. It won't stay running long enough to read the codes. What's up with this? Anybody have any ideas? I'm stumped. Please help if you know what's going on here. Thanks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Please let us know what the specs on your truck are and where you are located. I have had the Amsoil Bypass on my truck for 150K miles so it should not be the problem. One thing you can try is to take the adapter off and re-install the OE filter and see if the problem goes away.

If your SES light came on then there will be a code in the PCM. Your scanner should be able to pull the code without running the engine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck is stock except for 4" straight pipe exhaust with no muffler. Truck ran perfect until I changed the oil and installed the bypass system. I'm in Riverside, CA. I've checked and double checked the the hoses and connections. I guess I'll pick up a stock filter in the morning and try that. Could it be the Amsoil itself? This is just so wierd.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I do not think the Amsoil will cause the problem. I have been running it and all my Dad's trucks in his business runs Amsoil. One of his 95 PSD went 550K miles on Amsoil before it was sold.

Were you able to pull the codes???

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, It says no codes found. But the SES light is on. WTF ???? Just not having any luck tonight. I guess I'll just have to wait till morning when the parts store opens and pick up an OEM filter. I've read so many great things about the bypass filters and I was so excited to put it on. I bought it about 6 months ago but just have not had the time to install it but I'm supposed to be leaving on a road trip this week so I wanted to change the oil and put it on before I left. Now this. Just my kind of luck.

·
Registered
229 Posts
With the introduction of the Amsoil Bypass filters your oil system now holds more oil then before (quite a bit more actually). Be sure you have the oil to the full level or a sensor will sense it and make your truck act strange.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What scanner are you using? With SES light on there has to be a code.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Which bypass did you use? There's a dual bypass system that has a stock filter and the "bypass" filter on the same filter "base" that replaces the factory one, then there's the single bypass system that just has 1 bypass filter.

The single system you plumb it in from an oil source leaving the factory full flow filter alone, there's a plug on the factory filter head to get oil from a few other places, then the filtered oil dumps it back into the oil pan... exactly the same as an FS2500 setup except with screw on filter. You need like a quart more of oil with the single bypass, unless your truck was really really low on oil to begin with that's not going to stop it from staying running IMO.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
No oil, no power for the inj to fire.
Make the amsol system isinstalled correctlyl lines not fflopped go to thr right ports etc.
Check your levels, and the level in the hpop res.

You could take the system off top off the oil , try again when you return.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an update. I removed the hose adapter plate and installed a good old Fram filter. Wa La!! Truck runs great again. I guess it does not like that Bypass stuff. I checked by hose connectons about 20 times and they were on right. Maybe I'll try again when I return from my trip or maybe it will just find its way into the trash can. Thanks for your inputs and ideas guys.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Make sure there are no obstructions in the hoses or in the new filter base? A bypass setup is a great idea if you can get it squared away.

·
Registered
170 Posts
When you get back take some photos of the install so we can help you out...

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
You did have the old filter on eh...
Iir it should just have two lines that attach at two ports near the oem filter.
You still use the old filter you just divert some oil to the bypass to treat it.
But good to hear your up n running try again when you return.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Whatever you do I sure would not try running it again unless you can for sure see a mistake you made in the install. I have never been in favor of the dual setups as you are messing with the full flow filters as well. I am a 100% beleiver in bypass fitler and have had them on all my vechiles but they were alwasy only a bypass never a bypass + full flow relocation.

First we are speking of the dual bypass? Which is a two fitler base with one repalcing te full flow fitler and also the addtion of the bypass filters? Or One filter bypass base where you still use the factory oil filter location and the bypass base only has one fitler locations?

Something is not set up correctly or a part is defective. Properly setup a bypass only pulls(bypasses) 10%, no more, oil from the flow. It adds a number of quarts of oil depending on the bypass setup. Make sure you did add the extra oil to account for the extra filter hose and base. If you did not do that you certainly can and will have an issue. The other possiblity but not sure of is if you have the setup backwards (hoses connected backwards). You have the correct hoses. If you have the dual bypass possibly a defect inthe base not allwing the proper flow.

Correctly setup a bypasa does not negatively effect the engine oil flow but signifincatly helps with having clean oil down to single micron levels and increases engine life and longer OCI. Also increases total oil capacity.

Based on what you describe you had oil restriction and that was shown inthe hpop being starved and getting very low pressure and running like crap. Either to much oil was being sent to the actual bypass filters or there was a restriction of the total oil or oil thru the full flow side of the setup.

Double check each and every line to be sure you ahve cnnected it to exactly the correct ports. Check each filter and mke sure they are the correct filters for your 7.3. If all f that is 100% confirmed correct. Call amsoil and find out what they have to say. Unless they can point at something wrong in the installation you do that is not good at all. Can you imagine if you had gotten just enough oil and driven it hard etc, how much damage it could possibly have caused to your engine. They have had trouble in the past with their dual setup for exactly the restrictive oil flow issue but they suposedly had correct this issue a couple of years ago. I sure would want to know just how restricted the oil was as how knows if damage was done to your bearings etc that may casued decreased life. Hooking it up to some fluid pump to see how bad the flow was.

·
Displaced Mountain Man
8 Posts
I agree with the others; check your lines for blockage. You mentioned that you had the system for about 6 months..possibly something got into the lines (if they were exposed) to create an obstruction. I know that in Texas those damn "mud dobbers" have gotten into spare hoses that I have had laying around and built their mud cocoons inside them. :mad

I have run the bypass system for several years now without any issues, and mounted my filters inside the frame back by my t-case. It is a great set-up and I hope that you can get it to work for you.

·
Power by IH
184 Posts
iirc, the dual bypass kit that amsoil sells does not flow nearly enough for the 7.3's. The single is fine but the dual setup shouldn't be used.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
That was the issues with earlier models that were suppose to have been correct some time ago. It did seem to be the case as I have seen number of people running them without flow issues. But with these dual setups its taking a bit more of a a risk because if there is a manf defect as it seems there maybe possibly in this case you are effecting your oils full flow. I would have hoped Amsoil would test each of these types of units given what can happen should one be bad. Complete engine rebuilds are not exactly cheap. Its why I do not like them and prefer the bypass only setups. Who knows if damage was done to the ops bearing camshaft etc if it caused only 10% oil flow or whatever restriction. That is why I strongly recommend he should, if he finds its a defective unit, test it himself or by an independent third party to see what kind of flow it did or didn't allow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts