Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Can I tow 15000 pounds with this build reliably?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Go down to 175CC injectors and stage 2 VGT

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I tow a 15000 pound trailer and sometimes carry up to three cars at once on a trailer.
Here's my proposed build: (alot of this is already on the truck)

Engine: Ashville bored 30-40 over with studs, coated pistons, Stage 2 cam, and o-ring milled heads. (going back and forth on adding some aftermarket rods).

Turbo: Stage 3 VGT (68mm?)

Transmission: 650HP Torque converter

Fuel System: Some type of aftermarket lift pump. Stock HPOP.

EGT reducing mods: Water Injection, sinister diesel intake and turbo piping, 4-inch downpipe to 5-inch straight pipe exhaust, and Mishimoto intercooler.

I already have relevant bulletproofing mods such as FICM, new batteries, beast alternator, oil cooler.
If I want to maintain towing ability, do I need to give up my dreams of high horsepower? I've been told it's best to jump down to 175 or 190cc injectors and a stage 2 VGT to maintain towing. Do you guys agree? Will my EGT's be too high despite the intercooler, intake, exhaust, cam, and water injection?

·
Administrator
8,468 Posts
personally i would look for a dual rear wheel truck. that is way too much weight for a SRW rig.

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Registered
59 Posts
So I tow a 15000 pound trailer and sometimes carry up to three cars at once on a trailer.
Here's my proposed build: (alot of this is already on the truck)

Engine: Ashville bored 30-40 over with studs, coated pistons, Stage 2 cam, and o-ring milled heads. (going back and forth on adding some aftermarket rods).

Turbo: Stage 3 VGT (68mm?)

Transmission: 650HP Torque converter

Fuel System: Some type of aftermarket lift pump. Stock HPOP.

EGT reducing mods: Water Injection, sinister diesel intake and turbo piping, 4-inch downpipe to 5-inch straight pipe exhaust, and Mishimoto intercooler.

I already have relevant bulletproofing mods such as FICM, new batteries, beast alternator, oil cooler.
If I want to maintain towing ability, do I need to give up my dreams of high horsepower? I've been told it's best to jump down to 175 or 190cc injectors and a stage 2 VGT to maintain towing. Do you guys agree? Will my EGT's be too high despite the intercooler, intake, exhaust, cam, and water injection?
Like already mentioned if towing this weight frequently very far I would be looking for DRW. Besides that you dont want to tow that weight with a stage 3. A stage 2 would be a bit much for a lot of folks to be happy with but its for sure doable with 190/30s and the right tuning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts