Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working in a shop with a dyno and with custom tuner... I've been curious what a 7.3 with aluminum heads set up for common rail and higher efficiency might do.
I'm curious. What might someone expect to spend in having a set of aluminum heads cast and/or machined?

I know it won't be a "small" number, but can't imagine it being massive either.

What about an aluminum head with higher flow for the HEUI injectors? Perhaps have it set up for the DT466's stainless injector cups, and have a set of slugs made to house common rail injectors? To cut down costs for real-world possibilities?

Just some thoughts to mull over. Any machinists or the like have some insight?

It'd be awesome to be able to help get R&D out of the way and open up potential doors for other buyers?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
10K after the first prototype and programing time and fees are taken care of. The first set is the real killer. I have had that much in shop time fees just doing something as small as a firearm receiver from block. There would have to be serious benefits. I would think changes in injector port depth and angle which then would lead to custom pistons with different bowl specs to get larger PW windows. A extra glow plug type port for CP sensor. A lot of thought would have to go into it to make it as adaptable as possible to whatever setup to keep the customer base as large as possible to keep costs lower thru higher volume runs.

·
Subject Matter Expert
4,458 Posts
If you're going to be spending that much time effort and money on some billet heads you oughta be slapped for keeping the heui injection platform

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I agree with what he said, if your gonna go through all the trouble n expense to come up with a real world, working aluminum head, go common rail for sure. If we were talking a DD tow rig, who,s gonna spend that kind of money on HUEI set up. I think the iron heads have proove them selfs up to that task whit out a dought, But a common rail aluminum head would be something the pulling world, and all out drag guys would make use of I,m sure.

Dan

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yep common rail and P-pump would be the likely users

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd imagine if you could pick up flow it'd make a substantial difference. I seem to remember reading the factory heads have rather dismal flow. A little less pumping loss and a lot more breathing ability would probably aid economy as well.... Hmmmm...
I'll have to try and talk to some local machinists and see if any of them would be willing to help me experiment a bit heh. Even if just on paper

·
Registered
165 Posts
You guys are way low on custom cast heads. More like 50G's. Heck we spent 30G's on 3 pcs of a custom ladder frame. And I don't think the heads would be symmetric, so 2 patterns. CNC you might do for 10G's.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I can imagine it would cost more in the long run, theres all ways set backs and things just go wrong, which cost money. The other thing to consider is, we are talking a two valve motor here. Everyone got smart and went four valve, this doesnt mean that a 7.3 is a out dated POS. We just have to spend more money and do more to get the gains the new motors are seeing. For the street I dont see any need for Aluminum heads, you take a stock cast head, port it out properly, and clean it up. we have a guy on here made over 500 with a 38r and 238's. I think thats pretty danm good considering what we have to work with.
Dan

·
Sarcastic Bastard
422 Posts
You could easily have 10K in programming fee's and computer modeling if you don't do it yourself. Then you would have the machine time and I would bet you're looking at 20 hours per side minimum (if not symetrical), maybe less if symetrical. Figuring out how to modify and use a 6.0L valve setup with four valves, now that would be impressive.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
If there was a reasonbly priced set of 4 valve heads for a 7.3. watch out, the power a large cube motor would make would be very nice. We see that with a 6.4, but then lets throw in almost another liter, and see what we get.I think at some point though the block is gonna be the weak point, we all know this. Sure you can fill them, and gurdle them, but in the end its still only a band aid.

Dan

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
they have a cg block for that...show me some 4 valve aluminum heads and a cr system for a 7.3 now that would be something.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Oh no dought !! But it would be a competition only motor, your not gonna spend that kind of money on a truck that get driven on the street, but I still would love to see something like this. I gues it would be kinda like reinventing the wheel so to speak, but it would be a bad azz wheel, LOL.

Dan

·
smokin stroker
10 Posts
If your gunna change the heads and the injection system and go with a four valve set up why not go with a over head cam design . Less moving parts = more revs its just a thought

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
That could be done. I use to work for a guy years ago that was into VW's, we had a Bug out at a local drag strip ,and they had a guy on what they called a top fuel bike. it was a Harley twin, with DOHC heads on it, thing screamed. Now granted this was 2 cylinder twin, but still it was made and worked quite well I will say.

Dan

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
If your gunna change the heads and the injection system and go with a four valve set up why not go with a over head cam design . Less moving parts = more revs its just a thought
An in block cam is not the reason we can't go higher in the RPM band - its the HEUI system - and there are fixes for that in the form of p-pumps, sigma pumps, a-pumps, CP3s, CP4s, Siemens HPFPs, possibly even some very special HEUI sticks if you know where to look and who to ask depending on your goals.

Just for chits and giggles - I would be willing to make a set of 2 piece machined billet heads with water jackets for the first guy that brings me $15K. This would be a two part head with the lower section bolting to the upper section. This method allows for smaller parts to be machined, better access to cut out intricate port patterns, etc. The heads are identical side to side, so once you have one designed, you have the other designed (unless you want specific features that make them handed).

Jason

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I wondered the same thing, you could go with a combination too, cast head and aluminum rocker blocks too. beef up the up valve train to handle the higher rpms.or just go all out and make it all aluminum.

Dan

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
I wondered the same thing, you could go with a combination too, cast head and aluminum rocker blocks too. beef up the up valve train to handle the higher rpms.or just go all out and make it all aluminum.

Dan
?

Aluminum rocker blocks??? I already have aluminum roller rockers - been there done that back in 06-07....

I'm talking about making a two part head - slice your current head parallel to the deck surface and then it can be machined out as two parts with the parting line right down the sides of all the ports. Add in some locating features and some sealing features and it works just fine.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I would think it could be done, big thing I see is geting it to be a water tight fit,and not have leaking issues with coolent, unless you part it above the coolent passages and only have to deal with return oil. which is a no preasure deal, so that wouldnt be a problem. Again, annother good idea though.

Dan

1 - 20 of 28 Posts