Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently driving from new Orleans back home for the weekend. I am only running 11.9 volts. I am going to try and make the remaining six hours of the trip whether I burn up my batteries or not.

Truck only has 30k miles on it. Why so soon is it going out?

My main question, I am having a new one put on in the morning but I cannot return my truck to stock. Will I lose my program when they disconnect batteries to install new alternator? I know they won't flash Mt computer just worried of it going to stock on its own then I'm screwed and can't get back to new Orleans.

Thanks in advance.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Taking the off batteries will not make it return to stock, the file is burned into the PCM and cannot be removed unless by a programmer IDS, i doubt you will make it very far with 11.9 volts left.

First ALT failure i think i have heard so far...

I

·
0 Posts
I can't amagine unplugging the battery's will put your truck back to stock.
I would think that when you load a tune to your truck it's just a file written to a EEPROM and it's there until someone write's to it again.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made it. It fluctuated between 14.1v to 11.8v the whole trip. Everytime got below 12.5v headlights dimmed and radar detector completely shut off. Dealer gets it at 8am tomorrow morning and they have an alternator on hold for me.

They told me if for some reason they need to flash pcm they'll let me know so I can come up there and reprogram it to stock then back to tuned.

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
whish you luck
iv seen a couple of alts go out on hi millage hot shot rigs
have them triple check your charging system before your on the road again
your tunes will be safe
when they disconnnect the batteries you only loose KAPWR keep alive power
you dont need a ids
to change a alt and check your charging system

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alternator good.
it had a loose connection some how.
they replaced both batteries under warranty just as a pre-caution since it ran them up and down for 9 hours.

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
thats what i figured i havnt seen many alts go out

well at least they gave you new batteries

1 - 8 of 8 Posts