Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other night i was out messing around in town right,
well i got on it and went through 2 gears (2-3), stopped and took off fine at two redlights, then i went and pulled into the gas station for a drink. Well when i came back outside and crunk the truck up it had a god awful knock goin on...
I cant really determine where it is coming from but it doesnt sound good. At first i though i slung a rod but my dad doesnt seem to think so. It smokes white but it still pulled itself to the other side of the parking lot to get out of the way. So under my dads influence i went and changed the fuel filter thinkin it wasnt gettin sufficent amounts of fuel. Well it still does it and now i gotta get it towed to our mechanic in the mornin. Now theres not hardly any oil leaking, if any cant tell if its a previous leak, and it still has oil pressure; thats what makes me start to think i didnt sling a rod. But i was really just wanting to know what yall think it may be. Itll be in the shop tomorrow or tuesday and then ill for sure know.
i should have taken a video to show what god awful racket it makes but i was too worried and pissed off for it to cross my mind.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I would take the valve covers off and check all the push rods and rockers...

·
Team Shade-Tree Mechanic
635 Posts
Pushrods gets my vote

Does it sound like a plastic bat beating the inside of a plastic 55gal drum really fast?

·
Registered
671 Posts
check degas tank for fuel smell , may be bad orings on injector or the cup if youve got white smoke.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it does sound like its coming from the passenger side valve cover, if it would happen to be pushrods and rockers how much would you think that is to fix?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Get under there and look before you start pricing out repairs...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I had an injector go bad and it made the truck pour white/gray smoke and made a horrible knock.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its at our mechanic and he says its the piston hittin the top of the head or somehtin along those lines, and says that its the injectors causin to high of temperature in the combustion chambers, or whatever theyre called, and it melted the piston. I dont wanna believe that because hes sayin i need a new motor now, but first im gonna get him to pull the injectors and check those before anything else or if anything just swap em back to stockers. If you unhook the bad injector will the knock go away, is that how you would determine which one is bad? or how would you go about doin that. Im no expert by any means on the internals of the motor and i just need as much help as possible before i go dumpin money into a new motor..... which is very $$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah thats what i really need to do, i gotta talk to my dad first to see whats gonna happen, cause im 18 and theres no way i can afford this by myself

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and your like the 2nd person ive seen that lives in GA lol i live in canton

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, there aren't too many people on here from GA, and the ones that are drive Super Duty's. As far as your mechanic goes, how much work does he do with diesel's, specifically 7.3's?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as far as i know he does quite a bit, hes got a 7.3 and a 6.0, but he also said that a stock motor can make 500hp. Hes a great mechanic and knows what hes talkin about but this time i just dont think that the motor is bad, im gonna get the injectors tested first then go from there... and yeah theres not much diesel action in GA lol i have only a hand full of friends that drive diesels

·
Registered
446 Posts
There is a ton of diesels around where I live, but not many people my age drive them though, I've got probably 7 or 8 guys I'm friends with that do.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah i know what you mean, but im goin to pull the valve covers and check the injectors and run a compression test to see what cylinder aint got compression, and hopefully find that one of the injectors are bad and not the whole motor.... Wish me luck!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah me too, illl keep yall updated

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well this is what it sounds like, got a quick vid excuse my language lol...

im starting to think its more than just an injector, when i unhook the 8th injector(the very back one) it dont miss or nothing like all the other ones do when i unhook them. But were gonna run a compression test to make sure that that cylinder has compression, if not then i guess somethins broke :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts