Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a few powerstrokes and have done the turbo,injectors,lift pump,tranny etc upgrades and have kept up with the duramaxes and cummins around town.

Recently sold my truck and looking into making another fast truck. My question is... If you do the major upgrades like i have listed above on the 6.4 and the LMM who is going to have the better HP/TQ numbers and 1/4mile times? I have seen some 600hp 6.4s on stock trannys holding up good but also saw them loose to some LMM's with less HP due to the weight difference.

I only tow a 6 place snowmobile trailer in the winter and not much in summer so the whole IFS doesnt mean much to me. I would end up doing a soild axle conversion eventually anyway.

If i got a 6.4 i would run the tranny until it broke then put a suncoast in. With a LMM the first thing i would do is drop one in since i think they are really only safe up to 450hp or something. Also wondering if spartan can do some custom tunes like DP did for me when i get aftermarket injectors,turbos etc?

So basically what i am asking is what truck can run faster on Fuel only with the major upgrades.

Thanks for the help

(also curious about what the 6.7 in house might bring, saw spartans straight pipe video. that beast sounds like a cummins at idle and on take off... i dont know? haha)

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
i'd buy the 6.7 stroker

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
depending on the budget i think right now an LMM is more cappable of power if thats what you are asking.

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
FML

·
PSN Insomniac
561 Posts
Wouldnt you have to do a turbo upgade to get the Dmax into the 11's or 700hp range. At the least were talking dual CP3's right?

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
:whs:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Heres one of my sponsors LMM 990HP on fuel when it broke the tires loose on the dyno this last weekend.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
fwiw the lmm was out a full year before the 6.4 wasnt it.

·
Fierro Racing
1,509 Posts
if this 6.4 breaks again im selling it and gettin a dmax

·
Registered
261 Posts
The 6.4 is king as far as bolt on mods. LMM's run strong with PPE or EFI live but a tranny is needed shortly, tie rod sleeves, ect.. The Ford is also a better truck IMO, new GM's rattle and the sheet metal is really thin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey that custom auto is from idaho falls right? i go up to IF alot. Didnt know they had a new sick LMM... damn, saw their old black lly i think it was that was well over 1,000 horse

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
if this 6.4 breaks again im selling it and gettin a dmax
You will HAVE to replace that sorry allison short order. It doesn't take much for one to go into limp mode. Off of the lot the 6.4 is a much more durable truck, especially in aspects of the drivetrain. Tranny and front end are alot stronger.

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
You will HAVE to replace that sorry allison short order. It doesn't take much for one to go into limp mode. Off of the lot the 6.4 is a much more durable truck, especially in aspects of the drivetrain. Tranny and front end are alot stronger.

Ya i will stick with my ford. I like chevy thats all i drove before the ford but my uncle has a new one as of last year and man they are cheaply built imo I like how much bigger the ford sits and how much tougher they are factors to factory
I doo like the dmaxs tho but i drove all the new trucks before buying the 2010 6.4 so i got what i wanted!!

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
You cant really blame that on the truck, you sprayed it to 700+ hp over 110mph on the dyno, on a bone stock trans... chit happens and that was kinda self induced, not the truck or trans fault imho.
If that were a duramax you probably could have swept up your transmission in a dustpan.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Most ford trans either break a shaft or slip clutches, not break cases, what happened to his truck was a freak deal, sucks bad but i would never buy a duramax if i was having trans problems.

AJ ask joe how many runs he can make before the computer goes into limp mode on his duramax... bet its less than you made on a bone stock trans, and his is built.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts