Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Got 'Er Did
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i would never fork out the money to do it
but i am bored and saw destroked had a kit and i was just wondering if anyone has done it yet?

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
I hear elmo was thinkin about playing with it.

I would like to put a built 5R110 behind my engine. Don't care a lot for the alison

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
dont think they're better stock either. I have seen a modded 6.0 put a torq shift through a heck of a lot more than the alison can stand when modding the dmax.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
The Alison in your fire trucks is a little different than whats behind a Duramax, First of there proble 7 speeds. the reason for this is you guys deal with citty driving. You have to slow down turn corners that kind of thing.

Dan

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Big difference between the 1000 and the 3000 series too LOL.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Yea, I forgot too mention that too. What is it a 2500? the new 6 speed they put in them from 06 up. I think people hear the name Allison and feel their getting a bulit proof trans in their truck. I've heard some say Allison should be Imbarased to put their name on the thing because they have so many issuues. I don't know that much, but I would like to drive the 6 speed one to see what its like. You have to remember all the garbage trucks out there with Allisons, but there huge compared to the one in the chevy.

Dan

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Yea, I forgot too mention that too. What is it a 2500? the new 6 speed they put in them from 06 up. I think people hear the name Allison and feel their getting a bulit proof trans in their truck. I've heard some say Allison should be Imbarased to put their name on the thing because they have so many issuues. I don't know that much, but I would like to drive the 6 speed one to see what its like. You have to remember all the garbage trucks out there with Allisons, but there huge compared to the one in the chevy.

Dan
I have installed a few(3000 series) in some class 8 stuff that went over seas there is some differences just in those .

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
Just yesterday, my buddy dropped off his certified check for his Suncoast Allison 6 speed for his dmax. $8500, and that didn't include the billet input and output shafts. They wanted another $1200 each for those. But he will get his core $2000 charge back though. LOL very expense to do a full build - $8900 - ouch!!

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
$8900?
They better have some strong gold parts in there for that much. Look at what happend to the old 60s Chevy with the Dmax & Allison out in Vegas. It still broke just like a modded 48RE or a E4OD. So they all have issues when massive amounts of power is applied. On the other hand my Ma's 4R100 has 187,000 miles with nothing more than a broken tricumulator valve spring between 1-2 gear. Installed a Trans Go Tugger kit & it's still rolling.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
I just like the idea of having those extra gears. I'd try a 5r too if someone made a kit.

·
Fat Kids Rule!
2,455 Posts
suncoast 1057 converter, suncoast boost valve, and new alto friction and steels
the allison can hold 500-550 rwhp

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
I would also like to have a 5r in my truck.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
suncoast 1057 converter, suncoast boost valve, and new alto friction and steels
the allison can hold 500-550 rwhp

Oh my gawd thats alot the 7.3 would not make that much..........not :lame: All the autos will break if not given some attention before modding. Supporting mods are just that and I too had to learn the hard way about transmissions. Stage 1's and a hot tune trans lasted about 24 hrs. I have a modded 4r100(with pto) in my obs truck so far so good too bad I got it off E bay. I plan to stop modding when it makes 450 plus to the ground. lol:D
We had a customer come into the shop mod the crap out of the truck take it out and slip the trans a few times too many guess what it was fried and gm would not stand behind it. Mod smart boys and girls.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Use a 4560 Allison instead, no 7.3 will brake it. Even a 3060 or 3070 will hold up fine behind a 7.3, but the cost and weight will be prohibitive in a race truck. You also have to remember that the T1000 was only meant for 650 ft/lbs of input TQ.

·
Banned
780 Posts
from what im told guys the 4r100 built to the hilt is STRONGER and will hold more power then a 5r will.. ill stick with my 4r all day long. and the 5r has an "extra gear" witch is just an overdriven 2nd gear from what ive been told. yea it can hold more power stock but theres not alot of room for more frictions or steels on a few of the gears.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts