Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my motor, would love to stick a stand alone controlled allison trans behind it...any ideas, has it been done and done successfully?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Screw Allison, BTS is what you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i can build mine as mean as a bts....but that wont make it lockup from a stand still for towing and or racing...unless i mod and rig the lockup setup. overdrive clutches are still TINY compared to allison

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
I believe HRT was working on doing this, I think he posted pics of it mated to the trans and sitting in frame of the project truck at one point.

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts

·
PSD Enthusiast
101 Posts

·
Keyboard Thug
2,855 Posts
that definitely would be a nice option, but the price wouldnt be justifiable for a lot of folks.
Thats probably true, however the only other way to have a 6speed is to buy a new truck. So a retrofit would be a good option for some of us. If it becomes popular enough the adapters may become more readily available as will the controller. Being able to run 3:55's and stay in the powerband while towing is very enticing to some of us dinosaur engine fans.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im just not a fan of sitting in traffic with a load and having to shift non stop..gets repetitive after a while, allison is so tough a trans. proven. trans shop i worked at saw ONE come in once in a heavy truck and had grenaded every part in it but had almost 225k on it, thats a tough trans. my 4r100 lasted to 265k but blew intermediate sprag on heavy haul and still lasted a week after it blew. but the whole lockup at anytime is very enticing. i dont want nor can afford a newer truck or motor.

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
Get a PCS controller and have you 4R100 do ANYTHING you want it to.

·
International Diesel Tech
199 Posts
Of course International trucks do but I'm guessing that bell-housing wont fit into a ford truck!

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
an allison is a real piece of trash...... try a 6r140 if your going to spend the money.....

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
an allison is a real piece of trash...... try a 6r140 if your going to spend the money.....
I definitely would not say its a piece of trash. Its not the best transmission if you need it to shift fast (drag racing), but works great at sled pulling, street driving, towing etc... The biggest downfall it has is the inability to electronically control the line pressure to increase its holding capabilities. I beat the crap out of the trans in the Dmax pulling a 36' gooseneck like I am driving a sports car in a compound turbo'd truck - its a pretty damn good transmission for that.

As for a cheaper way to mount an Allison to a 7.3 - you need an SAE bellhousing adapter that you can find anywhere someone has taken apart a 7.3 that was attached to a 545 Allison - then you need an Allison 1000 with an SAE bellhousing (I don't recall the specific SAE number off the top of my head). That would be cheaper for the guy that wants to scrounge parts - I had some very specific reasons for using the Destroked parts in mine. If someone has a PSD to SAE adapter off of a 545 I could mock up the transmission here in the shop since I have an Allison 1000 with an SAE bellhousing sitting here right now - it came out of a step van chassis.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Personally I think a built 4r100 with a pcs controller would be the best of all. Of course 6 gears would be cool.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get a PCS controller and have you 4R100 do ANYTHING you want it to.
pcs controller? tell me more.
i hear there is a stand alone lockup controller but looks like a frankerstien of sorts, would like to know more about this pcs controller if anyone knows

·
Registered
109 Posts
International (Navistar) used an Allison behind the T-444. You might check things out from that perspective.

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=powertrain%20control%20solutions&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CDkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.powertraincontrolsolutions.com%2F&ei=jfqlTsrkHuPhiAKVyYm1DQ&usg=AFQjCNH3iAyfD7MV8dfBJwKhYLDvT-ykGQ

That's the link to PCS.

With the controller, you can literally have the transmission do anything you can think of and more. It is also not just limited to the trans control.

The PCS is also the easy way when converting from a manual to automatic. None of the tunning that had been done for the motor had to be changed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts