Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how it's done? I sure would like to at least CHECK my truck to see how bad it is. I've been eating up tires, and my truck makes a rumbling noise going around curves... It's tripping me out. I'm ordering ball-joints this week, but what else could it be?

And while I'm here, my little bro's truck is pulling hard left at all times... Alignment?

·
28 cent #2
2,874 Posts
Go get it aligned man haha. Find a big truck shop from my expierience they are usually cheaper and do a much better job!

·
Lost Cause
896 Posts
Might be the unit bearings too. Raise the front and support on jack stands. Use a prybar between the tire and ground and see if there is movement in either the ball joint or unit bearing, or both. I do one side at a time since you can then grab the tire at 3 and 9 oclock and push/pull so see if there is movement in that plane aswell.

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
If you have a Belle Tire around you, try them for an alignment. I had them check mine when after they installed my 37's. I think it was only like $30.00and they had to adjust the toe in on the right.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
you can check toe-in toe-out with just a tape measure and some tape but checking caster and camber cant really help ya
If you eating tires uniformly :whs: If they're cupping your caster/camber is out. You can adjust that with a level but you have to know factory specs, I'm sure FTE.com has that info. Best to let a shop with a lazer do it right.

PS good alignment will drop your ET! :tree:

·
Registered
168 Posts
you can check toe-in toe-out with just a tape measure and some tape but checking caster and camber cant really help ya
Yea, but if you want to do a rough alignment have something to mark the tires hold it on center of the tire. Then have your little bro spin the tire do it on both sides and get measuring both front and back of the tire. Thats the way I learned it anyway. But you can't beat the laser haha.

·
Registered
520 Posts
the best way if your gonna measure with a tape is to run a mark of chalk all the way around the tire and then take a jackstand and screw driver and mark it uniformly around the tire while spinning it. that way you are measuring from the same exact spot front or rear.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yea, but if you want to do a rough alignment have something to mark the tires hold it on center of the tire. Then have your little bro spin the tire do it on both sides and get measuring both front and back of the tire. Thats the way I learned it anyway. But you can't beat the laser haha.
we used to use a staple, they are nice to hook the tape on while measuring and they are thin to give you an accurate reading. when your done pliers pull them right out and the holes disappear.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, what would you be looking for on a "rough" alignment? Should the front be farther apart than the back?

·
Registered
520 Posts
you should be seeing a very slight smaller measurement on the front than the rear. i just had my truck on the aligner out at school and these trucks run an almost 0 degree of toe, which is what your measuring. the actual specs are like .1 degrees positive toe

·
Wondering what if
828 Posts
My grandfather used to set his car up for 1/8" to 1/4" narrower in front from back.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
So, what would you be looking for on a "rough" alignment? Should the front be farther apart than the back?
I set mine the same on the front & back. Never took it in for an alignment at a shop, but it tracks straight down the road & no tire wear. You can do it yourself, it just takes time & patience.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I set mine the same on the front & back. Never took it in for an alignment at a shop, but it tracks straight down the road & no tire wear. You can do it yourself, it just takes time & patience.
Like Cat said I did it same front and back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts