Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
im guna give that a slim possibility garrett, enhanced services are available as far north as fairbanks, little ways west of anchorage, kodiak island, and all the way down to juneau

·
Twitch
1,383 Posts
I would try and keep your phone off as much as possible. I barely used mine when I went. Only turned it on to check messages and what not. Had a 700 phone bill for that month, mostly roaming and other b.s charges.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
In anchorage yes you have 3g. Otherwise no.

Anywhere north of anchorage you will be roaming on a company called mta wireless. Its a pain in the ass.

Call them today to make sure you are added to their acceptable roaming list. Or you wont be able to call out.

I ran into that problem last year

http://mtasolutions.com/

·
Banning Smut
19,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In anchorage yes you have 3g. Otherwise no.

Anywhere north of anchorage you will be roaming on a company called mta wireless. Its a pain in the ass.

Call them today to make sure you are added to their acceptable roaming list. Or you wont be able to call out.

I ran into that problem last year

http://mtasolutions.com/
Hmm. I will be south of ANC. Verizons map shows digital svc pretty much in the whole area I will be...although I'm sure it will be spotty.

Did you get charged roaming charges? I'm on the nationwide plan and wasnt sure if Alaska was included.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Hmm. I will be south of ANC. Verizons map shows digital svc pretty much in the whole area I will be...although I'm sure it will be spotty.

Did you get charged roaming charges? I'm on the nationwide plan and wasnt sure if Alaska was included.
No no roaming charges once it was fixed with MTA.

Even south of Anchorage make the call and set it up.

MTA covers the entire state with the exception of anchorage. They are supposed to have roaming contracts with all the major carriers. But their phone number database is a few years behind. It takes em a few days to get you added:mad:

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
I called em. They acted kind of puzzled and said the would have somebody call me. She said they only handle north of Anchorage. so who knows...
Im not surprised one bit that they sounded puzzled. I spent a grand total of probably 4 hours trying to get it fixed

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
MTA is short for Matanuska Telephone Association. The Matanuska Valley is north of Anchorage.

I sent a text to my techno whiz kid son.

I'll let you know what he says.

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
I'm just not gonna worry about it. I need to stay off the phone anyway.....
I just talked to my son.

He said that south of Anchorage they are still partners with ACS (Alaska Communications Systems) and that if you have a national roaming plan, you should be fine.

He just recently switched over to a local carrier but, he had Verizon (originally from Norfolk, VA) and it worked fine for him.

ACS

Have a safe trip. :cool:

·
Gandy Dancer
5,972 Posts
Thanks Rick. I've been telling my Dad about all the tips you have given me. BTW.....sitting in the terminal in Houston enjoying a beverage . Vacation has begun.
If you can, try to sit on the right side of the plane out of Seattle.

Often they will fly right over Whittier, along the Chugach Range next to Turnagain Arm and make a wide turn that gives a great view of the Anchorage Bowl.

Have a great trip. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts