Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What say you? I am looking at getting airbags and the two that I am down to are the Airlift loadlifter 5000 #57291 and the Firestone Riderite #2400. I am also putting in a G. neck hitch so these are the only two applications that I can use. What has been you experiences with either?

Thanks,

T

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have no exp except with my Firestone's and they have served me well. I bought the complete kit with comp and guage and controls in the cab. I love em.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Probably not much diff in quality. Both have been around forever. I just got a good price @ Summit Racing on my firestone kit.

·
Moved in
1,008 Posts
I had the Firestones on my 2000 for 5 years with no issues. As soon as they have a kit for the '11 I'll get a set. Make sure you get the right ones. Firestone has a different set up for trucks with 5th wheel and GN hitches. I'm not sure if Air Lift does.

·
Registered
670 Posts
TTT

Any one have anything to add??
Anything new from either company?

Im looking at getting a set for my 250.

I saw that Firestone has a new set-up (R4 tech) for the smaller superdutys - similar to the kit on my 450. It looks pretty SWEET, but costs quite a bit.

Id proly want to spend the $600 or so for the helper bags + wireless remote.
Does anyone have any experience with the wireless systems either company offer?
Im also thinking about adding one of the small airtanks, just for 4 wheeler tires mostly....
Has anyone compared the quality /specs on the compressors they offer?
Also - I dont have a GN hitch NOW...but what if I wanted to add one later? Can I get a set of bags designed for a hitch and use them without one?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'm sure you could run them without a hitch. Don't know about the remote. I like the guage and control under the dash.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
We put Firestone's on my dads a few years back. The instructions were horrible and we had a bad valve stem. I would buy an Air Lift system and unless you have a goose neck hitch, get the outboard bags. They are a lot more stable than the inboard bags.

·
<<< my office view
240 Posts
We put Firestone's on my dads a few years back. The instructions were horrible and we had a bad valve stem. I would buy an Air Lift system and unless you have a goose neck hitch, get the outboard bags. They are a lot more stable than the inboard bags.
yup, and the outboard bags are available for gooseneck as well...

...red circle being the releae for the pop-up ball, dont get me wrong its a squeeze but it works fine :ford:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That's interesting, I didn't think it would work. Now after seeing this, there is absolutely no reason to get inboard bags in my opinion.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It sucked when the switch went out on the firestone setup on my 450... they would only sell me a whole new gauge+mount+switch and it was over $100 if I remember corectly.

Wingnut - Thanks for the pic - those are the Air lifts right?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Have any of you used carling switches to controll the air??

I forgot - I have a 650 dash here with switches made already
I actually got the idea from a pic of another member's 650 dash I saw on here (the one with all the "wood")

I think It'd be nice to have the wireless control/gauge AND the buttons on the dash! That way if the battery dies, I run over the remote, or Im just in one of those parking lots where wireless things dont work that good, Ill have the switches for backup.

·
Registered
352 Posts
How much rougher does the truck ride empty with the bags installed?

Don't you have to run something like 10psi at all times even when empty?

·
<<< my office view
240 Posts
How much rougher does the truck ride empty with the bags installed?

Don't you have to run something like 10psi at all times even when empty?
none, yes :ford:

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
No matter what everyone says i still dont beleive they ride the same. My dads 06 doesnt seem to ride as good after the bags, and offroad im sure they dont help. With air in them they prevent the suspension from full movement which is what they are supposed to do, but when you hit a bump to me that translates into a rough ride. I want to install the bolt on kit on mine once i pull my overloads so i can take them on and off when im gonna tow heavy.

Sorry i just dont believe it when people says it rides the same on a flat road maybe, not in rough roads and offroad.:swordfight:
Sorry for the rant. Its just my opinion...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts