Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to go to cold air intake next. I dont want to go cheapest but dont want to break the bank. whats your opinion on which one to go with?
2004 6.0

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Save your money for better upgrades like gauges or exhaust or tuner. If you dont have gauges/monitoring device you need that before anything else.

The stock intake is really the best intake unless you ARE currently breaking 500RWHP. It holds 10x more dirt at the same filtering efficiency as compared to the best aftermarket setup. So IMO why spend $300+ on something you dont really need yet. JMO.

·
1,549 Posts
Ok well then scratch the filter and get a monitoring device. You can always spend $270 later down the road when/if you upgrade the injectors, turbo, add studs, etc. but the benefit from being able to monitor your motor is WAY more valuable IMO.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Stick with the stock air filter. remove the gauge and check that it still works.

Get gagues.

edge insight, insight cs, insight cts, scangague 1 and 2 are highly used.

·
matt
911 Posts
took my aem filter off after it let dirt through and took a couple of blades off my compressor wheel lol. if you just have to have a aftermarket filter get a aimsoil replacement. also the factory intake is a cold air. do the zoodad mod and there yeah go you got a ram air cold air intake.

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
the OEM Donaldson can't be beat
100k AVG life and can hold 5lbs worth of dirt before it needs replaced

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
I agree with you guys about the OEM air filter doing the best job at cleaning. Holds a LOT of dirt before restricting the flow. This is why instead of buying a two to four hundred dollar performance air filter that does a poor job of cleaning the air I put two OEM filters in parallel inside my winch bumper.

·
1,549 Posts
Well I guess that would work as well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That interesting. I want to see some pics of that.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using AutoGuide App

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
well i am at 85k miles and i just installed a Pmax and now i am getting the "check fitler" on the dash board. So with the original posters idea in mind what would be the best aftermarket filter.

I see this over and over. someone asks a question like this then they get ridiculed for not having all the prior mods. Why dont we just answer the question and move on. Why must someone prove themselve. It can be put as " well you dont need one till 500hp and money can be better spent elsewhere (gauges, tuner, exhaust, etc....) but if you do decided to get an air filter this would be the best one"

Im Just Sayin'

·
Registered
689 Posts
how many miles on your air filter?

With an aftermarket turbo I would get an S&B. Eventualy I plan to get the PM and when I do I will get the S&B.

·
1,549 Posts
:whs: S&B is the only filter company that actually posts data about their filters abilities. I have one and love it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm running an AFE Pro-Guard 7 with a powermax and have had good luck with it. My truck came with a K&N, sucked!!!!! I got the AFE used off a totaled truck, otherwise I would have gone with S&B. If my truck came with the OEM filter housing and Donaldson filter I would have stuck with it. $300 can do more good elsewhere on these engines. Whatever you go with, make sure it's a dry filter.
:ford:

·
Administrator
32,965 Posts
I see this over and over. someone asks a question like this then they get ridiculed for not having all the prior mods. Why dont we just answer the question and move on. Why must someone prove themselve.
I see nothing wrong with folks suggesting to stay with the OEM setup there has been numerous threads about issues with aftermarket filters and housings

not limited to the K&N oil messing with sensors or housings that don't seal the filter and turbo's getting dusted
and I don't see how anyone is trying to prove themselves with this info ? If I had not read the same info when I was doing my Mods I would have one, but I don't because of threads just like this:rockon:

·
1,549 Posts
I see nothing wrong with folks suggesting to stay with the OEM setup there has been numerous threads about issues with aftermarket filters and housings

not limited to the K&N oil messing with sensors or housings that don't seal the filter and turbo's getting dusted
and I don't see how anyone is trying to prove themselves with this info ? If I had not read the same info when I was doing my Mods I would have one, but I don't because of threads just like this:rockon:
AMEN!!!! I guess regardless of how much you try to steer folks in the right direction, there is always going to be the whiners that ask for help and bitch when you give it.:psnb:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts