Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday my water separator started leaking like crazy when I turn my truck off. Well, make a long story short, its rotted where the 0 ring gos on the valve not letting it come even close to sealing the valve (And all gunked up inside too) and I need to replace the complete housing. I was thinking of replacing it with an airdog 2 165 instead of the OEM unit since it would only be a couple hundred extra.

For reliability what would you guys recommenced going with? My truck does have a mini maxx, sinsiter EGR delete with intake elbow, cold side inter cooler piping upgrade, 4" straight pipe with DPF delete and S & B cold air intake.

Would you get the 165gph or the 100gph model?

Is there anything else I need to completely remove the OEM separator and pump?

Thanks for you help guys!

·
08 6.4
261 Posts
I put a 165 on mine a year ago and haven't had any problems at all. Is it better? Who knows, but it sure is easier to change filters!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a 165 on mine a year ago and haven't had any problems at all. Is it better? Who knows, but it sure is easier to change filters!
The easy filter change is worth it alone, lol. How many miles do you have on it so far? Did you use the harness that came with it or use larger gauge wire?

Where you able to remove the factory unit all together?

·
08 6.4
261 Posts
I've got about 30,000 miles on it so far, I took the stock one completely off the truck, and I used the harness it came with

·
Registered
649 Posts
What else do you need to buy to remove the engine fuel filter? I read an article about not being able to buy just a single OE filter and I want to eliminate the engine filter aswell when I install my AIRDOG

·
Registered
683 Posts
You can buy elites airdog upgrade to remove the filter.. There's other options now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can remove the filter from the secondary filter housing & run it empty. However, The factory secondary filter has a 4 micron absolute rating (B75-4) & the secondary Airdog filter is only a 10 micron absolute (B75-10) so you need to upgrade to a better secondary filter on the Air Dog like the Donaldson P551315 which has a beta rating of B100-3, which means it is 99% efficient at 3 microns. This would give secondary filtration as a little better than the factory filter..... or at least as good if you can believe all the ratings

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why remove the engine filter? Is seems easy enough to change the filter unlike the one in the frame rail. Does it restrict flow or something?

EDIT: I just read where you stated you cant just buy the engine filter alone. I buy the ford filters on amazon for $40.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can remove the filter from the secondary filter housing & run it empty. However, The factory secondary filter has a 4 micron absolute rating (B75-4) & the secondary Airdog filter is only a 10 micron absolute (B75-10) so you need to upgrade to a better secondary filter on the Air Dog like the Donaldson P551315 which has a beta rating of B100-3, which means it is 99% efficient at 3 microns. This would give secondary filtration as a little better than the factory filter..... or at least as good if you can believe all the ratings
Not sure if this is correct, but it says the fuel filter is 2 microns on airdogs website.

- Replacement AirDog Fuel Filter 2 micron (Part Number FF100-2) for all AirDog and AirDogII units

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes they give it a rating of 2 microns nominal, which means its 50% efficient @ removing particles of 2 microns in size.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have not seen this claim & can't find it on either of the Pureflow websites, do you have a link? I'm interested to read what they say.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, a warning about Alligator performance. I paid for over night shipping early yesterday morning (On my airdog 2) so I could get my truck running again today, well, they lost my order and don't know where its at or if or when it will be shipped. So guess I am stuck walking the kid to school until I either get a refund from them of the $775 or they find my part and ship it. I wont be using them again as they didnt help me at all, said they would call me back and never did either, i had to call them 3 times and never got an answer about my order.

·
eshpile
144 Posts
go with a FASS pump just had mine installed and serviced the truck on Friday and was it nice no to have to replace the bottom filter and the truck seems to respond better good luck with your situation

·
Registered
649 Posts
The only reason I wanted to remove the engine filter was because I didnt want to have to buy two filters to only use one when AIRDOG was supposed to have such a high filter rating. Also I have read about delete kits and was interested. I personally have never had a FASS but I have installed a few. A few years ago they did seem to be quite a bit louder than AD. Its just my personal preference to go with AD over FASS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts