Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

air or exhaust first

878 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Rogers21 
#1 ·
So my truck is an E99 w/ 112,500 on the odo. I'm gonna start beefin it up one piece at a time. I need to replace the air filter but thinkin it might be a good time to go aftermarket now. The exhaust is bone stock Cat and everything. I wouldn't create too high of EGT's changin out the air first and leavin exhaust stock until I can afford to upgrade would I. Or should I spend my money on the exhaust first and leave air stock for now. I know it sounds stupid but this is the crud that I think about. Oh yeah and guages will def be goin on soon too.

#3 ·
if ur doin the exhaust just wait a day or two save up 40 bucks and do the 6637 intake and the exhaust at the same time

#6 ·
I'd do the air first. Stock exhaust haven't been known to ruin these motors. Stock air boxes have. When I bought my truck it was a straight pipe with a bad airbox. I got 9.25mpg. I replaced the air box with the severe duty kit and put the stock exhaust on and I got 13.25mpg. You can always run a straight pipe.

#7 ·
You can buy an exhaust pipe from Ford for a model that came without a Cat and then either straight pipe the rest or get a Walker Big Truck Muffler (basically a version of an old Cherry Bomb) from NAPA or other auto parts store to complete the exhaust update.

#8 ·
Thanks again guys I went on ahead and ordered a tymar kit and a Diamond eye exhaust from Dale. The air intake is already here but will have to wait until next days off to do the exhaust. I think i'm gonna go ahead and throw the air on. I drive almost four hundred miles at a time to get back to work and the stock air filter had to be blown out once. Don't want to dust out that turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.