Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the DIY intake in the winder and it it sweet but my question is summer started and it get 120 degrees here and its not protected at all from engine heat. Is that a problem??

BTW its the Fleetgurad AF4878 its big:D

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Not in the slightest.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
You will find varying opinions on this. FWIW, I think you are fine. The increased air mass provided by this intake offsets any advantage a cold air intake provides. Once you are moving, the temp under the hood is about the same as outside.

I love my Tymar Intake and the UOA I've had shows the filter does a really good job of keeping dirt out.

Best,
Jim

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I did the DIY intake in the winder and it it sweet but my question is summer started and it get 120 degrees here and its not protected at all from engine heat. Is that a problem??

BTW its the Fleetgurad AF4878 its big:D
I'm in Az and like was said you will find different opinions on this. Mine is I'm not convinced that at speed the underhood temp is the as cool as ambient when it's 115* outside and the air coming off the radiator is above 200*. Plus the heat from the turbo, etc. That's why I went with the Ford AIS and added the fender sleeve. Now if I were going to be pushing 30+ psi of boost the AIS would not flow enough. It depends on your plan for your truck. I am happy with mine, it flows enough and filters as good as anything else and my truck runs and pulls as good as I need it to. Now this is just mypinion and take it for what it is. Just an opinion. Good luck.

Where in Az are you? I'm in Buckeye. Send me a PM.

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Nice. Where did you get that coupler piece that goes on the end of the filter?

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Nice set up! I tried the AIS, but lost 4lbs boost. with stock injectors. I think my AFE stg2 is going to go packing soon.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Nice set up! I tried the AIS, but lost 4lbs boost. with stock injectors. I think my AFE stg2 is going to go packing soon.
Like I said it all depends on the mods he is planning.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Like I said it all depends on the mods he is planning.
I was not knocking the AIS...... I think it is the nicest set up of all of them and most likely the best filtering. I heard it will support 400hp.I just dont know?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It will not pull the minder @27 psi but I have the sleeve to the fender also. Any more than that I don't know, thats about the max on my truck.

I knew you were not knocking it, No worries.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. Where did you get that coupler piece that goes on the end of the filter?
got it from the plumbing department in Home depot its a 5in to 4 in reducor then i took a 5 in rubber sleeve (from the plumbing department) and forced it on there. about 5-6 bucks if that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts