Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Air Intake

12K views 43 replies 16 participants last post by  old man dave 
#1 ·
I am wanting to install a cold air intake. I hear K&N allow to much air in for the 7.3 / So I am looking a a good inexpensive air intake that works the best with a 7.3

#2 ·
No, youre half wrong. K&n allows good air flow but wayyy to much sand / dirt in.

I have it and I took it off to replace it with a 6637 filter. No more sand and dirt chit inside.

If you want cheap, get a 6637 filter and some elbows from Home Depot. That’s what mine is basically - abs plastic tube that cost several hundred dollars. Not worth it but looks nice. Wouldn’t buy it again if you could get away with Home Depot or cheap aluminum pipe bends.

Her is a cheap alternative than Home Depot as you’ve requested

If you want the best, go with an afe

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/401467547797

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
You say there is a "big difference" between the AFE Stg 2 and the 6637 kit?
Which one did you prefer? That AFE kit looks really sharp and they seem to have documented flow data that's pretty impressive.
But yeah, it's pricey.....but my battery box is a bit of a mess too.

I'm looking to do this mod as well and I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible.
Cheers,
Steve

#11 ·
Bingo.

Sorry dudes, it's just true. Worlds biggest gimmick, cool air intake my ass. These will not move the needle in the least. So if you're looking for more power, you're going to be disappointed.

And, the turbo is always dusted pretty bad on anything that runs these.

I'd just run the stock filter, but that's your call.

#34 ·
I was able to find used Donaldson AIS on the Craig's list locally for a very good price - fellow P-stroker wanted much larger turbo and air flow etc. in order to pull a large travel trailer in the mountains.

It fit like a glove and I was able to find new high quality filters at a pretty good price.

:ford:

Attachments

#12 ·
This is one of those areas again where you seemingly have no experience.
While I can agree, k&n are junk, many others are not.
Show me verified reports of a 6637 dusting turbos. I'll wait.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

#13 ·
No idea what a 6637 is brotha. But I've seen quite a few with my own eyes, no Google needed. Virtually all in fact. The turbos always look worse when one of these are involved. That's just the way it is. Not to mention valvetrain damage, bearing damage and all around longevity.

If ya want more air, you need bigger holes. There's no way around that. You can research all you want, it won't change it. I'll leave it up to you to decide when more air is necessary.

Those are my experiences. As always, take it for what it's worth.

#14 ·
If ya want more air, you need bigger holes. There's no way around that. You can research all you want, it won't change it.

That’s actually pretty easy to get around in a few ways. Create more surface area. Usually aftermarket changes from a flat to conical filter creating more surface area. Adding more surface area to a flat filter could be as easy as adding pleats to it, or the same amount of pleats but taller ones... I will agree that blades will be destroyed by improper filtration and that k&n is a common factor with smoked blades. But the statement above is not true in the slightest bit. Bigger holes may be the easiest way, but it’s definitely not the only way, I didn’t even have to research.

#17 ·
6637. Done and doner. The afe setups are the ones to go with b/c they are actually a quality build but is it worth the money? No, no they are not. Why? Just ask swamps with their competition engine and a 6637 filter. My turbo hasn’t been cleaner as is ever since I took off the pos k&n. 6637 really cleaned up my intake - no more sand particles and dirt inside my intake. Any performance added? Who knows and frankly, I don’t care.

#18 ·
Thanks everyone for rogering up your thoughts and opinions!

So after 'filtering' (pun intended) our resident "fluid physicists" (all you have to remember is P1*V1 = P2*V2 when it comes to volume & pressures :cool: ),
it seems the opinion consensus is:

- K&N doesn't filter air well enough to keep the turbine happy so at $300, it's a non starter.

- Ford/Donaldson AIS for the "max" filtration possible - $250, and replacement filters are ~$70
Donaldson Severe Duty Air Induction System AIS (X007953)

- S&B looks like a well built product, but again at $300 is it worth it? And replacement filters are $65.
S&B 7.3L Powerstroke Cold Air Intake Kit - Dry - 99-03 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

- the 6637 modification seems to be VERY cost effective. RiffRaff has a $54 kit to make it one stop shopping and the replacements are $30.
This seems economical, but I personally don't like things "hanging in space." I also would like all the stock sensors hooked up to something, and not zip tied to the firewall. Am I too concerned here?
Riffraff Diesel 6637 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Intake Filter Kit

- AirRaid system also offered by RiffRaff looks like a well thought out addition, but again, $400? And no cost for replacement filters given. Wonder if a 6637 would fit in there?
Airaid Intake System - Riffraff Diesel Performance

- Banks 42210 system looks well built also, but at $330, not sure of cost effectiveness and no replacement media prices were found. Again,would a 6637 fit?

- aFe Stage 2 Dry filter seems well liked, and at $265 it's almost reasonable. $65 for a replacement cartridge. Again,would a 6637 fit? It does look like a small area to put that 6637....
Amazon.com: aFe Power Magnum FORCE 51-10062 Ford Diesel Truck 99.5-03 V8-7.3L (td) Performance Intake System (Dry, 3-Layer Filter): Automotive

My D/S battery box could stand some TLC if not all out replacement, so I have that to factor in as well for my acquisition.
The other decision is do I want a cleanable filter or dry?

Again, thanks to all.
Steve
:rockon:

#20 ·
I will add just to throw things off a bit that my brother in law has ran a drop in k&n filter for 300+k miles on his 7.3 that is over 500k now. Stock truck all factory parts minus water pump and alternator. Turbo is still healthy and never been touched.

#21 ·
I believe it. I've seen a lot of vehicles using these over the years, usually with no noticeable problems. Not yet anyway.

But, I've also seen many examples of direct, cumulative damge from them too. They let in more dirt, that's just the reality. The turbo is also not the only thing that's hurt in the process, and they're always filthy. People seem to think it never needs cleaned or something, I don't know. Having it inside a box probably helps I'm sure.

#22 ·
DieselDC - aye. Thanks for the info on the sensors. My gal is stock CC Dually as well - I wish I was getting that mileage.
j-winship - got it, thank you! I have many gear head friends who run K&N in their cars, and swear by them.
jamie - Thanks - while K&N has a great rep, I too am having a tough time ignoring what lots of users are saying with turbos.

#26 ·
I'm obviously new to this vehicle, so I really don't know, but looking at the link and description, it would seem to be what you are looking for - hence my providing the link.
I'm sure someone at that website can clarify.
I can go take a pic of mine tomorrow if you like - I'm pretty sure mine is stock.
Cheers,
Steve

#27 ·
That one is adapter to filter.
You need the "orange tube." Lol

#30 ·
#32 ·
I think so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.