Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Air intake or just a bully dog filter?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  old man dave 
#1 ·
So I was wondering should I get an air intake or a bully dog filter.
I heard allot when I was at the truck shows this year saying the 7.3 doesn't gain anything from a full short ram intake that actually the original air box and a good filter works better.
I want some input and suggestions before I go and buy a new air filter since I only ever modded a gas truck and I did notice allot after the intake.
So question is which one a full intake or just a filter and what brand should I check out?

#4 ·
Using a stock airbox with a performance drop-in filter is a waste of time. I had a Banks drop-in (K&N)/stock airbox and replaced it with a Tymar (with Donaldson filter). G-Meter said 0.25 second decrease in 0-60 mph time using the Tymar and stock injectors over the stock airbox with performance drop-in filter. There would have been an even greater difference compared to the stock filter element.

Drop-in filters are a waste.LOL

#5 ·
So do you recommend building a cold air intake as stated above or spending the money to buy a real cold air intake. I'm not looking to add horse power just looking to open up restricted air flow a little. I heard so many different things about a drop in vs a cold air.

#7 ·
I also once checked out an AFE-1 and it made 3-4 hp LESS than the Tymar on the dyno, same day, same dyno.

I like the diy if, instead of a ABS plumbing fitting, a 4" exhaust bend is used when making your own. That makes it about the same as a Tymar but not quite. Plumbing fitting is quite a bit smaller than a 4" exhaust bend and Tymar also provides a 4" flex coupling instead of reusing the black factory hose and also has a support for the filter (muffler clamp) that I like.

Drop-In filter elements and the stock air box suck. Like I already said, 1/4 second slower 0-60 mph than a Tymar with stock injectors.

I think people have opinions that they never check out to see if the mods they do really work. I did, have some 90+ dyno runs on my truck and a bunch of other runs using a G-meter to find out what worked on my truck.

#8 ·
Tymar kit comes with everything needed and is reasonable unless you compare it to using plastic pipe without a filter clamp. We carry them or get direct from Dale @Tymar.

#9 ·
I installed the Tymar and love it.

I never really trusted the factory airbox ever since they were recalled for a fix due to leakage problems.

Nowadays I can SEE the whole Donaldson filter and the straightforward Tymar setup and I know it's not leaking. The factory airbox, not so much.

#13 ·
OBSWiz (site sponsor) sells them or you can buy direct from DaleIsley@Tymarperformance, 509-922-TRUK

The OBS kit has a Donaldson B085011 filter, exhaust bend, muffler clamp used as a filter support, quality clamps and a reinforced boot to connect the exhaust bend to the CCV. SuperDuty kits are a little different. Exhaust bend finish choice of plain or painted, I forget if powdercoating is an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.