Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Air intake or just a bully dog filter?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  old man dave 
So I was wondering should I get an air intake or a bully dog filter.
I heard allot when I was at the truck shows this year saying the 7.3 doesn't gain anything from a full short ram intake that actually the original air box and a good filter works better.
I want some input and suggestions before I go and buy a new air filter since I only ever modded a gas truck and I did notice allot after the intake.
So question is which one a full intake or just a filter and what brand should I check out?
Using a stock airbox with a performance drop-in filter is a waste of time. I had a Banks drop-in (K&N)/stock airbox and replaced it with a Tymar (with Donaldson filter). G-Meter said 0.25 second decrease in 0-60 mph time using the Tymar and stock injectors over the stock airbox with performance drop-in filter. There would have been an even greater difference compared to the stock filter element.

Drop-in filters are a waste.LOL

So do you recommend building a cold air intake as stated above or spending the money to buy a real cold air intake. I'm not looking to add horse power just looking to open up restricted air flow a little. I heard so many different things about a drop in vs a cold air.
I also once checked out an AFE-1 and it made 3-4 hp LESS than the Tymar on the dyno, same day, same dyno.

I like the diy if, instead of a ABS plumbing fitting, a 4" exhaust bend is used when making your own. That makes it about the same as a Tymar but not quite. Plumbing fitting is quite a bit smaller than a 4" exhaust bend and Tymar also provides a 4" flex coupling instead of reusing the black factory hose and also has a support for the filter (muffler clamp) that I like.

Drop-In filter elements and the stock air box suck. Like I already said, 1/4 second slower 0-60 mph than a Tymar with stock injectors.

I think people have opinions that they never check out to see if the mods they do really work. I did, have some 90+ dyno runs on my truck and a bunch of other runs using a G-meter to find out what worked on my truck.

Depends on the year, best to post in the 7.3 SD forum. Some years replace the battery bracket on the units supplied by Tymar.

Also, some years need a hole cut into the raidiator bulkhead for air flow (early ones I think).

OBSWiz (site sponsor) sells them or you can buy direct from DaleIsley@Tymarperformance, 509-922-TRUK

The OBS kit has a Donaldson B085011 filter, exhaust bend, muffler clamp used as a filter support, quality clamps and a reinforced boot to connect the exhaust bend to the CCV. SuperDuty kits are a little different. Exhaust bend finish choice of plain or painted, I forget if powdercoating is an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.