Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving back from SoCal last week on Friday with the A/C on coming into the SJ valley. All seemed fine until about 20 minutes at which time the cold air began to fade to warm. If I shut off the A/C and wait 30 minutes I can then turn it back on and it will blow cold air for about 10 minutes and it is back to warm air once again.

I am hoping it is the A/C clutch that is failing once it gets warmed up. I don't have much experience with A/C, but understand the operating principle well enough to fix my problem if I can get some insight from the group as to what to look for.

Any help is appreciated in advance.

Thanks,
Pat

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Could be the clutch wearing out. You can do a temp fix on it by pulling off the front nut on the clutch and removing the shims. Like I say, it is a temp fix. My temp fix made it through last summer, I am going to ride it as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be the clutch wearing out. You can do a temp fix on it by pulling off the front nut on the clutch and removing the shims. Like I say, it is a temp fix. My temp fix made it through last summer, I am going to ride it as long as possible.
If it was the clutch which I thought it might be, you can buy replacement clutch /clutch field coil. I don't have a/c manifold gauges unless I buy some. So I won't have high/low readings.. I would have already done that, but thanks for the suggestion bbbxcursion.

BTW, the clutch replacement procedure mentions special tools being used on special tools used on the clutch pulley.. LOL

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
You can get that bolt out with the tools in your truck box. Nothing special. To replace the clutch, all bets are off.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get that bolt out with the tools in your truck box. Nothing special. To replace the clutch, all bets are off.
Ya, the bolt comes out with a standard socket, but here is where you go from there... haha

Place the A/C clutch field coil on the A/C compressor with the A/C clutch field coil electrical connector correctly positioned.
2 Place the special tool on the A/C clutch field coil.
3 Place the special tool on the special tool.
4 Use the special tool to install the A/C clutch field coil until bottomed completely against the A/C compressor.

...and that's F&^*in special

Actually one of the special tools is a spanner wrench and the others are a couple Field Coil Installation tools.. 3-4 inch cylinders that are used to seat the field coil on the compressor. They can be made.. I am just trying to find out if it needs a new clutch or not.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Ya, the bolt comes out with a standard socket, but here is where you go from there... haha

Place the A/C clutch field coil on the A/C compressor with the A/C clutch field coil electrical connector correctly positioned.
2 Place the special tool on the A/C clutch field coil.
3 Place the special tool on the special tool.
4 Use the special tool to install the A/C clutch field coil until bottomed completely against the A/C compressor.

...and that's F&^*in special

Actually one of the special tools is a spanner wrench and the others are a couple Field Coil Installation tools.. 3-4 inch cylinders that are used to seat the field coil on the compressor. They can be made.. I am just trying to find out if it needs a new clutch or not.
I know what you mean. It is actually harder to buy a clutch than I thought. A/C compressor rebuild shops have been trying to stop it for years.

I remember when I was a kid, you could buy a starter rebuild kit, an alternator rebuild kit, a master cylinder rebuild kit, etc.... from any parts house. Lot harder to do now.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the one I found a few minutes ago.. A/C Clutch I have not ordered it so I don't know if they really have one.. You never now how long it may take once ordered.

·
73 Posts
sounds to me like it's freezing up either at the evap or the expansion valve or orifice tube which ever system it is.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds to me like it's freezing up either at the evap or the expansion valve or orifice tube which ever system it is.
I am going to buy some manifold gauges, found them at Mechanics Tool Supply for $70.00. Don't think i will get much farther w/o these. Meanwhile I will keep digging around.

Anyone know if these will do double duty on home HVAC, just wondering

·
Genius, when I drink
1,295 Posts
Pretty sure the connections are not the same. Plus, home uses a different refrigerant than R134a.

To bad you aren't a little closer I got a gauge set you could use.

Let us know what you find; I usually put the gauges on and get a reading before turning on the a/c, then with the a/c on I check what the pressures are at idle and check again with the engine at 1800-2000rpm.

Good luck!

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would bet your refrigerant level is low. Buy a one can recharge kit, they come with a gauge that is color coded.
The only warning is purge the line with refrigerant before tightening the fitting. It will save you $60.00.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts