Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my a/c in my 4440 is starting to squeel,from what ive heard that means the on there last leg, so i guess it wont be long till it goes out. how hard is it to change the compressor, i found a recovery evacuator for $250. and deere wants $350 for the compressor but i found the same reman compresor for $165. i had my 4840 redone last year and it was expensive just wondering how difficult it is to do myself. and how do you flush them with nitrogen or whatever. thanks

·
Corona Killa
1,727 Posts
You'll need to recover what's in the system now then remove the old compressor and install the new one I would also change out the reciever/drier sinc you have the system open oh and change out all the orings at the fittings you loosened. After you have everything back together you'll need to pull a vac nthe system and then check for leaks after that you'll recharge the system and don't for get to add the pag oil to the system so your new compressor will stay lubed up and running good.

·
get busy livin
191 Posts
yeah i haveput "new" reman compressors on and put brand new ones on. i would go with the new from john deere and pay the extra money there is nothing worse than working on the ac when its 100 degrees outside and your roasting out there. definatley change the dryer as well. everytime you break the system open its a good idea to change the dryer they are usually fairly cheap.

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
you didnt here this from me, but if u want u dont need to recover it, just unhook your lines, the compressor is easy, change your receiver dryer and hook your lines back up, throw a set of a/c gauges on it and charge it up, u dont even need to vacuum it down, unless ur worried about it leaking and wana check it

·
brandon
778 Posts
yeah i haveput "new" reman compressors on and put brand new ones on. i would go with the new from john deere and pay the extra money there is nothing worse than working on the ac when its 100 degrees outside and your roasting out there. definatley change the dryer as well. everytime you break the system open its a good idea to change the dryer they are usually fairly cheap.
:whs::whs:
Remains never last for me. When through two on my Case and on vehicles, they always crap out quick. Parts guy told me on compressors they only change the parts that crap out. So the guts sometimes are the old parts that still work and fail later down the road.

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
You should never charge an A/C system without vacuuming it.
thats funny, ive never had a problem with any i have done that way, granted its not like i do all of them that way, if i have the vacuum pump handy ill pull it under a vacuum but if im in the feild and don't have the equipment i just replace the needed parts and go on, hell you can switch from r12 to 134A and do nothing but change the reciever dryer and install the retrofit fittings, may not be the accepted way but it damn sure works

1 - 8 of 8 Posts