Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 F-350 and am looking at putting a set of air bags on the rear for when i get a sled deck. What will the air bags do for ride quality when I don't have it loaded up? Will it smoothen up the choppy ride of the F-350? Thanks for your input.

·
I FINALLY JUMPED!
516 Posts
Lets hear some input on this. As i swear my dads 250 rode a bit stiffer after we put some in but not completely sure:confused:. I need to do it to mine but on the fence wether i want to loose some ride and offroad abilities.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well i have a set and when i have no weight in the truck it seems to ride rougher but granted it is a obs.LOL

·
<---new toy
856 Posts
I have ran air bags for years and figured this out. First when you have no load just truck run about 5 psi. second you have to run hydraulic 4x4 shocks. the stock ones or normal shocks will not last. air bags push up and shocks push down. air bags win that fight. hydraulic shocks pressure in both directions. to me they ride better that normal shocks anyway. When and if you change the shocks to the hydraulic (with air bags only) you have to add 2 inches to the shock travel for the air bags.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well that would solve my problem too because i am running about 5si in the bags but it still has the constant bounce....plus the trucks due for shocks anyways.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently installed them on my 05.They do seem a little rougher with no load, but by airing them down to 5psi like DPS0925 said makes a difference. However there is no comparison with a load, my favorite mod so far!

·
Haters Gonna Hate
5,869 Posts
im running airlift 5000's and at 8-10 psi of air i think mine actually rides a lil better than factory

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would just like to add some overload bags to help how the truck sits and handles with a sled deck and 2 sleds on top in winter. I know my ride is pretty choppy now with everything stock, I am wondering how air bags will change the ride quality of the truck without being loaded up. Will running them with low pressure improve the ride over stock?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I run overload bags love them when towing, when I'm not loaded I run 2lbs in them they do make the ride a little stiffer if you have any pressure in them depending on the amount fully inflated its like a covered wagon.

Just don't do like I did and let the air out of them when you are loaded (trailer dove was dragging) then take the load off, POP they go the ring around the middle pulled loose and went through the passenger side bag. time for some new ones.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I run overload bags love them when towing, when I'm not loaded I run 2lbs in them they do make the ride a little stiffer if you have any pressure in them depending on the amount fully inflated its like a covered wagon.

Just don't do like I did and let the air out of them when you are loaded (trailer dove was dragging) then take the load off, POP they go the ring around the middle pulled loose and went through the passenger side bag. time for some new ones.
When you aren't loaded and have 2 psi in them, how does the truck ride? Better or worse than stock?

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
on my 96 dodge 1/2 ton with sagging leafs, the truck rode way better all the time with air bags, but I could see on a truck with good springs you'd have to have enough weight on them to make them work a little.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have them and i always ran like 10 psi to keep my truck level and it rode way better than when i went to a lifted spring. Im waiting on the spacer to get so i can put them back one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
It rides better with 2psi than with them off, Which I have right now until I get new bags. Towing without them sucks once you are used to them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts