Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you running a aih delete how does it act in the cold? I was thinking about doing it but dont want to lose relability in the winter. Is it harder to start in the winter?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Absolutely, positively no friggin difference and I live in NY.

·
Registered
184 Posts
no difference..............

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alrighty thanks i didnt want to do it then have problems in the winter and having to resort to driving the gasser. lol

·
Registered
561 Posts
She started on a block-heaterless morning with a -40F windchill last winter.... Then gelled up and died. Lol... So with good working glow plugs and glow plug relay you should be just fine. Just make sure if its cold enough to use an additive... Which applies regardless.

·
Registered
403 Posts
AIH has nothing to do with starting.

·
<-- GO BRONCOS
965 Posts
These are the requirements for AIH activation on PSDs: (From Bob Riley's DieselSite web page)

FAQ: What is the real purpose of the intake heater, and when does Ford say it will operate normally?

"To reduce white smoke during long idle periods at low ambient temperatures, the PCM will activate the intake air heater. Specific conditions must be present before the heater is activated: "

ambient temperature must be below 0 deg C (32 deg F)
engine oil temperature must be below 55 deg C (131 deg F)
vehicle power must be between 11.8 and 15 volts
parking brake must be applied on manual transmission vehicles
the transmission must be on park or neutral on automatic transmission vehicles
glow plugs must be off

It is a very specific set of circumstances. You wont miss it. It will throw a soft code, but wont hurt anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts