Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know the heat output of the air intake heater? I read that someone with cold start issues jumped the wrong relay and started fine with the AIH being jumped. My problem is that my 7.3 is really cold hearted and on cold days if not plugged in, it will turned over fine but sometimes not ever a pop...

GPR and the glow plugs are good. Next, the batteries were replaced and soon after the starter. Batteries and starter were replaced because of issues not the issue of excess money burning a hole in my wallet.

I thought I was in the clear but on cold mornings while not plugged in, I'm still holding the ignition (feeling like im grinding the starter) as the engine surges. Sometimes it will surge for 20 seconds before leveling out if it doesn't die. I've been curious about getting a buzz test, replacing the valve cover gasket or if the HPOP is working properly while the oil has that viscosity. The truck only has 70,000 miles and was maintained by ford mechanics before my purchase. Also, I do run winter fuel additives and am in Southern Wisconsin. Fuel has not seemed to be a problem.

I was running Rotella 15W-40 but just switched to synthetic 5w-40, hoping for a change. But I was curious if people jumped the GPR to the AIH relay for a little extra heat during cold starts. Most people delete the AIH so there is not much information on this.

The reason I post rather than testing is that it currently is 32+ deg outside. I am looking for outside opinions before it starts freezing again. Any errors in programming as this is jumped? Is this a complete waste of time as the AIH is a tiny little plug heater?

Thank you,

James

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ditch the stock GPR and order a Stancor unit. The thing is massive compared to stock, and should help those cold start issues. The glow plugs will continue to cycle for another two minutes once the light goes off. I usually sit there for an extra min or so before starting. How old are the glow plugs?

·
Registered
633 Posts
This is from my first hand experience. Sometimes when cold out gpr will stick. They will test out fine after youve got the truck started and only do it in prime conditions ( when you need em the most). Next time truck doesnt want to start check the output of the gpr right then with a test light. Or if you really want to know if they are on wire up a small led light with a fuse to the gpr output.
I have witnessed this on older factory gpr's and also on cheap new replacement gprs. Typically it is when the truck has been sitting 8-10 hours in sub 20° weather with a good wind.

Oh ya and never grind the starter. If it starts to light let off the key. If it dies so be it. Restart it. If not you can destroy the starter and or ring gear.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
I've heard of people's rigs start at -30-40 without aih or bein plugged in if the glow plug system is operating correctly. AIH isn't your problem. I haven't had one in years

·
Registered
633 Posts
Had -10 here couple weeks back. No problem. No aih, no plug in at work for 10 hrs. No problem.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
-20 here for 2 days straight with windchill and truck in a field not plugged in. Came down and let the glow plugs cycle once and after 4 revolutions fired right up. I have no aih My boost gauge is hooked there instead. Ive had your problems for 2 years before I recently did all 8 glowplugs (ZD-11 motorcraft only) and stancor relay. Now no problems. I also did uvch and gaskets but just did them cause I had the covers off already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I have tried cycling the glows plenty before starting and sometimes made little difference. Maybe I'll have to try a Stancor relay after some more testing. Didn't stop and think that the GPR could freeze up like that. After testing ok I looked elsewhere for the issue. And yeah, I did notice that the glows are on longer than the light shows; like suggested, I was thinking of hooking up a LED to let me know. Glows are new and the resistance from the valve cover pins are all the same. And it wasn't true grinding of the starter, the starter never disengaged but the starter would be loaded and unloaded as a few cylinders started to fire. I would be out there for days if I'd let off ignition sooner than I did as I tried to be "easy". But I agree, bad for the system and that is one big reason I want to fix this.

Thanks for the replies, as always I seem to be trying to complicate things. Back to multimeter and fixing the problem not working around it

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll look into that, Thank you. Good news. This morning was about 20F out and the truck started right up. Only difference since last time, 5w-40 syn. Totally different story before.

Thank you for all your input so far.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The 5W-40 will make a huge difference in cold starts!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts