Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm actually about to press the button on mouser for all the parts to build an AIC...

North Texas Power Stroke Association - DIY AIC Mod

...but, I got to looking at how this whole thing works and I think once the AIC is activated, it would turn off my EBPV control (which I now use for warm up).

That got me thinking. Why am I building an AIC when I have the exhaust brake. Any why would I want one over the other if I can't use them both at the same time, ie closed brake with higher idle?

(Off topic side note: I will ALWAYS promote the use of the EBPV as a brake. I've used mine every single day for just about every single deceleration for about 8 years and it's worked flawlessly. My front brake pads are from 2005 and I just inspected them and they are at about 7mm of pad left. Insane. Removing it or deleting it is a HUGE mistake in my opinion.)

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I don't know why you couldn't use both (at least the way my DIY AIC worked). The AIC worked really good for me, much better than the factory EBPV anyway. I ended up gutting it and modding the pedestal a bit later. The DIY AIC works well for summertime AC operation while parked (no real airflow over the condenser). The only thing you will notice with the DIY AIC is that if you dial the resistance "in" too fast on a cold start, the CEL will set and the RPMs will generally increase as the engine and oil warms (less friction). Once the engine is up to temp, it generally stays at a steady RPM (so don't set it at say 1300 RPM and go in the house right away as you may come out to find it up at 2300 or something! Wait for it to steady a bit, only takes a couple of minutes). Cheers!

·
DIESELdog...
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing you will notice with the DIY AIC is that if you dial the resistance "in" too fast on a cold start, the CEL will set and the RPMs will generally increase as the engine and oil warms (less friction). Once the engine is up to temp, it generally stays at a steady RPM (so don't set it at say 1300 RPM and go in the house right away as you may come out to find it up at 2300 or something! Wait for it to steady a bit, only takes a couple of minutes). Cheers!
That is really valuable feedback.

I'd kinda like to buy a Ford one but they are so huge. I don't have any place for it.

·
OBS Stroker
1,004 Posts
Just curious what you have in the way of mounting a stock AIC? I have a 5 speed, center console, and tons of room, even with the console moved ahead from the stock location.
I love mine, and it works great with the EBPV. Usually by the time I am walking away from the truck, you can hear the "CHOOOF!" Then there is no doubt it has closed, and my truck will be toasty warm when I come back out to go to work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts