Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to building my traction bars. I bought the materials from Ballistic Fabrication. I painted last night so hopefully in the next few days I will have installed pics. Here are some for now though, sorry about the crappy cell-phone pics:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used 5 ft. of 1.5" ID by 2.25" OD (0.375" wall) for each link. The links are 64.5" center to center.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am waiting on misalignment spacers then I can install the bars, but everything is ready to go.

·
Registered
928 Posts
So did you just drill the frame where the mounts needed to go? Thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I am still rockin' stockers... I know....it's sad. Hopefully new wheels are tires will be an option this year.

I am in Rockport now, so no plans to go to Ennis this year. I lived down the road for a few months from the Ennis track, though, sweet set-up. I assume you guys are going? Curt and I should be at heat wave. Have you been to any of the diesel shootouts in Houston?

Yes I drilled the frame for the upper mounts. Just below the mount for the gas tank strap. I put a block of wood in the frame so I wouldn't poke a hole in the fuel tank, brake line or vent line that is in the frame rail. I used a step bit since it is short for the upper bolts, then the lower bolts just a standard 1/2" drill bit.

The lower axle mounts could be easily modified to use u-bolts, so it wouldn't have to be welded on.

Hardest part was figuring what length and making it work due to the mounting issues with the fuel tank, lines and wiring in the frame rail. I drew a lot of cirles on my concrete to be sure my links will flex with my leaf springs, then ended up using Autocad to be sure.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rockport is actually a pretty cool place, lot like the Island. I am still learning the area and fishing spots. No chain restaurants, just mom and pop stores, which only downfall is they close early.

No, the frame brackets I fabricated out of some 1/4 plate I had laying around. I wouldn't doubt if they had something else you could use though if you don't want to make your own. Mounting locations will depend on your traction bar length which is dependent on lift and spring combo you are running.

I am still waiting on my misaligment spacers so I can mount the bars. They are sitting pretty in my garage unfortunately.

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
Looks Great!!! Now I need to get mine done. Have you had a chance to test them out yet? I was thinking about going like 6' on my CC SB, but if 5' works, then I will save $30 or so on the pipe.

-French

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That truck is a 99??? It's SUPER clean... Good job Aggie007.
Yes it was built in June of '98. Thanks!

The bars didn't change my ride at all, and they definitely help hook up the rear...pics to come!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How are you guys that weld the mounts on making sure they're perfectly aligned?
I tied a string across the axle and used a level. I welded my lower mounts with the rear axle installed, so I didn't have to worry about pinion angle etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts