Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 2001 7.3 powerstroke and the wastegate opens A LOT. Really bad on first start up and stays open for a while until I have driven for a while. Im running a Garret GTP38R turbo. My boost runs a bit low also. I did not install the turbo, the person I bought it from had it done, or did it himself, not sure. But I am pretty sure it is still running a stock actuator. I was going to install a Banks Bighead wastegate actuator or the Turbomaster wastegate control. Probably going to be the BBH. What is everyones opinion on this? Will it fix my problem?

·
03 F350 7.3L
220 Posts
Is it really cold out when first start it up?

·
Premium Member
2,472 Posts
I believe you are referring to the EBPV. This is normal in cold operation. The wastegate is actuated by pressure is a separate component which would not be active at idle or under low boost conditions.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 2001 7.3 powerstroke and the wastegate opens A LOT. Really bad on first start up and stays open for a while until I have driven for a while. Im running a Garret GTP38R turbo. My boost runs a bit low also. I did not install the turbo, the person I bought it from had it done, or did it himself, not sure. But I am pretty sure it is still running a stock actuator. I was going to install a Banks Bighead wastegate actuator or the Turbomaster wastegate control. Probably going to be the BBH. What is everyones opinion on this? Will it fix my problem?

Save your money... Your not hearing the wastegate on a 7.3... Never going to hear it.

IF you want to waste your money on a wastegate controler the turbo master is a far better product.

Can you take a picture of the turbo? Are you sure its a 38R? What is "low boost"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.