Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to put some type of aftermarket intake ( just filter and tube ) on the new toy. curious what everyone is using and what seems to work best for these trucks. ive got the silverline exhaust with no cat or muffler on it now. ordering the mbrp downpipe tomorrow. as far as the filter goes,i spend alot of time in dusty backroads for work. ive used k&n in the past,but have heard they will let in to much finer stuff that eat up the turbo. any truth to this? i was thinking about the afe set-up and then working my way into the rest of the engine area over time. :blah: mainly just looking for a little guidence here. and at the risk of sounding like a tard, what is this tymar i see on here in various threads? :confused: thanks in advance folks. :bowfast:

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
get a 45 deg 4 inch ehhaust elbow and a napa 6637 filter coupple clamps do no not use a K&N on these trucks.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Tymar is exactly what is mentioned above in kit form. Comes with the filter, 45* elbow, a connector from the elbow to the aluminum ccv housing, a stand that wraps around the filter so your filter isn't resting on your fender well, and 3 constant torque clamps. Very nice product if you ask me. Also, he uses a Donaldson filter which unlike the napa 6637 is supposed to be weatherproof so no water can disrupt it.

·
get you some
9 Posts
i agree the 45 elbow and the 6637, and if you go through alot of dust you can always get a filter sleeve i know you can get them of guzzles site>

·
Registered
319 Posts
where do you get a donaldson filter and are they very expensive? i have a home made 6637 setup but i drive thru some nasty stuff. i have never had any trouble with water tho and i get alot of water under the hood sometimes. what would the symptoms be? dusted turbo?

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:bowfast: you guys are great. thanx for the info. the tymar setup after being explained to me.....i have seen this on a truck in iowa last month. ill hit the parts stores here in TX this weekend and see what i can dig up. again thanx guys. very impressed with this site.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
where do you get a donaldson filter and are they very expensive? i have a home made 6637 setup but i drive thru some nasty stuff. i have never had any trouble with water tho and i get alot of water under the hood sometimes. what would the symptoms be? dusted turbo?
Basically a napa 6637 is not hydrophobic and does absorb water which takes away area that could be used for air movement. The Donaldson is hydrophobic and water resistant.

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
:whs: The Donaldson is like $36 from dale at Tymar and is much better than the Napa filter. Cheap insurance if you ask me. I have a powdercoated elbow and boot for sell if you want just need to get the filter. PM me if youare interested.

·
Registered
97 Posts
does any one have a pic of there home grown intake pipe and filter ??

·
7.3 stroked edition
169 Posts
Great lookin truck. I would recomend just getting the whole intake from dale its cheap and a nice setup, i had the 45* elbow w/ 6637 for about 2 months and it looks crappy, chews up your inner fenderwell, and when i drove through alot of water it absorbed it all

Jared

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
We have Tymar intake kits at a killer delivered price..PM me with your zip.

Cary

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanx for the compliments on the truck. im kinda proud of it. :redspotdance: its a work in progress. been sitting on it for awhile now and just started to do the upgrades it needs and wants...much to my wifes dismay. lol. after the intake im looking at widening up the stance a little and LED lighting all around. blacked out windows and maybe some silverline stacks. jake brake for the pulling part.......and maybe a little redneck bling along the way.

·
airman
1,064 Posts
Sorry for the hijack but I've been trying to polish my tymar intake for awhile now. I've used nevr-dull and mothers polish but I can't get a mirror finish like I'd like. Any suggestions?

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Buffer wheel on a bench grinder and polishing compound.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
We can get them black powdered painted for the stealth look..

·
strokefreak
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well today i installed the ghetto redneck version of the tymar. its a bit louder than i figured it would be. thats nice. and the noise comin from the exhaust is also a bit deeper. specially at the higher speeds. all in all im impressed.
thanx for the advice and pics/posts/replies folks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts