Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, didnt want to borrow another thread. I know its been talked about, but seriously, on my setup, how much difference will an aftermarket fuel system help the hp/ tq?
Right now, I have swamps gen 3 pump, Beans 230 cc singles, 4" exhaust, DP tuning with the standard --stock/ 60 tow/ 80 econo/ 120 race/ 140 extreme ICP, high idle.
Also, have Dockboys old H2E turbo , and full gauges. Well, all but fuel pressure. Stock fuel pump, lines, filter. And nitrous system jetted to a .063 right now. Not much smoke with this jet, NO smoke with a .073 jet.
It picked up 7 mph over the old injectors, without gas in the 1/8 mile. On the bottle, it picked up 3 mph over the old ones. Leads me to believe that I'm probably dropping fuel pressure, and theres more there with better flow.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Get a gauge on it to know for sure. Won't help a ton unless you're dropping a lot.

I'm dropping from 75psi to 28psi. I'll let you know how much difference when I get it to hold.

·
Harry Callahan
991 Posts
The stock SD fuel lines are the worst looking pos fuel lines you can ever imagine. The check valves in the heads are a joke too. My guess is with your setup a fuel system will be a great improvement.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll see if I can get a gauge on there this week. Does autometer make an electric fuel pressure gauge 0-100 psi?
I want one that matches the ones I have. Have to get another gauge pod too. Are they making a-pillar guage pods for 4 gauges yet? I was going to get an electric oil pressure gauge today, but decided to wait and find one that actually says fuel pressure. I'm betting its droppin bad. I just dont know at what point it starts hurting power.

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock SD fuel lines are the worst looking pos fuel lines you can ever imagine. The check valves in the heads are a joke too. My guess is with your setup a fuel system will be a great improvement.
So, what do you do with the check valves? Can they be taken out, or are they needed? I know the lines are ugly, but besides that, is there a real reason to change them?
You think the pump upgrade is enough , or do I really need the bigger lines, upgraded filters?

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
You will definitely be lack top end from fuel pressure drop. First, get the pressure gauge and see how low your pressure is dropping. You can go in the existing fuel ports, less the check valves, or go in through the back of the head, thru the fuel rail plugs. DI sell fitting to do this. Then plug the current feed ports. Run larger lines - AN#6 to heads, AN#8 from pump. You can use the existing fuel bowl regulator (shimmed to get a bit more pressure) or add a regulated return kit.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I'll see if I can get a gauge on there this week. Does autometer make an electric fuel pressure gauge 0-100 psi?
I want one that matches the ones I have. Have to get another gauge pod too. Are they making a-pillar guage pods for 4 gauges yet? I was going to get an electric oil pressure gauge today, but decided to wait and find one that actually says fuel pressure. I'm betting its droppin bad. I just dont know at what point it starts hurting power.
Autometer does make a 0-100 PSI electric gauge and yes they have 4 gauge pods out. Im workin on my fuel system right now, when its done ill let ya know.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I can't believe you have that big of an injector without a fuel system. I would HIGHLY recommend you call Dennis at ITP and work out a complete fuel system. You have to be way down on fuel pressure but the guage first idea is valid. It would be interesting to see just how low you are dropping before and after an upgrade.

·
Wheelie Dude
2,126 Posts
I would say you are dropping to close to 0 psi at WOT with a stock fuel system. 0psi is not good cause that means no fuel in the injector and no fuel no lube.

·
10.61 @ 128 MPH
2,297 Posts
i guess i need a fuel system then too

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would say you are dropping to close to 0 psi at WOT with a stock fuel system. 0psi is not good cause that means no fuel in the injector and no fuel no lube.
Well, there you go. Guess I'll be puttin on a gauge and checking it out this week. May be in the market for a fuel system.....more$$$$$$
Never ending battle. Oh well, I guess if thats the case then theres more hp waiting for me after getting the pressure up.:ford:. Could that be causing it to act like the rev limit is coming in way early? At around 3,600 it starts cutting out. Rev limit is at 4,100 I think.
Thanks for the reply's guys.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
I just got my fuel system all completed, built the entire system myself, used dual stock pumps, 5/8" pickup in tank, then 3/8" all the way to the motor, ITP fuel bowl delete, and I already had ITP's reg return.

It made a very noticable difference, pressure used to drop to around 27-28psi, now it holds 62psi no matter what. Needle doesn't move, ever!

·
you want some of this?
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wheres the biggest difference? Top-end, bottom-end? Smoother?

Oh, and did you run the pumps parallel, or series? I run mine on my Bronco II in series, and it works great. 195 LPH in tank, and a 350LPH on the frame rail.
Holds 70 psi at wot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts