Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've got a new to me 7.3 super duty. 4x4 crew cab long bed dually with an auto in it. 144k miles. I'm in Arizona. Scottsdale to be more specific. They do inspection here and I'm wondering what's everyone's favorite aftermarket exhaust with a cat so I can pass inspection. Previous owner cut cat out of stock exhaust and I don't know that it will pass. It's an Oregon truck and they don't emissions test diesels up there so it was never an issue for him. I want to do a new exhaust but not have to worry about inspection.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Your truck never came with a cat. Your good to go.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
Only manual transmission trucks and excursions had cats.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I think some Cali model trucks had them. Do you have a glow plug relay or a modular

·
7,983 Posts
if the truck was built with a cat in the exhaust, it should have an emmissions sticker under the hood claiming so.
it should say something like catalytic converter equipt.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I bought my 2000 with a 4" straight pipe already on it & many inspection stations in town wouldn't pass it because it didn't have a converter. And that was just a safety inspection; not emissions.

·
Super Moderator
8,059 Posts
I bought my 2000 with a 4" straight pipe already on it & many inspection stations in town wouldn't pass it because it didn't have a converter. And that was just a safety inspection; not emissions.

Well they just didn’t know it didn’t come with one. Most trucks didn’t have them and it’s easy to prove it didn’t.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a e99 Auto and it came from the factory with one. The PO took the cat off and I had to put one back on to pass the visual inspection. I have since removed the guts and now just have the shell of one in place. Haven’t had any issues since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Only manual transmission trucks and excursions had cats.
That's not quite correct...
I have a 2000 F350 pickup, Cali original truck, with a 6-spd., came from factory with NO cat.
My brother lives in Montana. He had an '02 F350, cab&chassis, also with a 6-spd, Montana original (50-states) truck. His was factory original WITH a cat.
Mine has a glow-plug module, his had the glow-plug relay.
So it's somewhat hit-or-miss, by model type & year.

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
Well they just didn’t know it didn’t come with one. Most trucks didn’t have them and it’s easy to prove it didn’t.
:whs:
Check the sticker located inside/under the hood, near the latch bar.
It should indicate "catalyst" or "non catalyst".
Mine says non...

~Al

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
if the truck was built with a cat in the exhaust, it should have an emmissions sticker under the hood claiming so.
it should say something like catalytic converter equipt.
:whs:
That's what you go by...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: After market exhaust - no cat

No Cat here.

The most common advise I receive is to go with a 4" exhaust system.

No one mentions the exhaust manifold. Thoughts on the manifold?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts