Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a wild hair....

Previous thread: Changed oil, inspected upper fuel filter, now throwing P2291 - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

So to recap it turns out I had a very good deal of air in my fuel line, thus the issue. All I needed to do was keep doing what I was doing and it would have worked out fine. But I panicked and sent it to the shop. They had it running in 30 min or so.

After that news I must have been euphoric or something because I went Hawg <see what I did there?> wild. Order the installation of the following:

Full stainless HD up and down pipes.
Full stainless hot and cold side intake pipes.
Blow Off Valve
EGR Delete
Air Dog II Titanium 165 Fuel/Air/Water Separator
Titan 51 Gal underbody fuel tank.
ARP Head Studs
Fresh duel O-Ring Hoses all around
Billet Oil Filter & Fuel Filter Caps
Drop in EDE Tow Power 72/59 Turbo

Here are a few questions that arose.

1: No Head Gasket event has occurred. But upon inspection, the engine was manufactured in '07 and apparently had the most notoriously prone to fail gaskets of all OEM gaskets. As I was leaning to do a gasket replacement, they suggested it and I went for it. I mean the cab is off anyway. The question is if no event has happened is is necessary/desired to check the heads for flatness?

2: The EDE's have an option for BB or Journal bearings on the Atmo wheel. They are suggesting a turbo timer to allow for turbo cool down if I go with the BB. However, the BB option is only for the Atmo not the high pressure turbo if I understand it correctly. I think they are assuming that this one has BB too. I could see the need given the temps it runs at but am curious if that is required if the Atmo is BB?

I'm sure some will consider me an idiot for even having to ask, but this i my first PSD and I've only driven it 8K miles. Forgive my ignorance in advance.

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
1: No Head Gasket event has occurred. But upon inspection, the engine was manufactured in '07 and apparently had the most notoriously prone to fail gaskets of all OEM gaskets. As I was leaning to do a gasket replacement, they suggested it and I went for it. I mean the cab is off anyway. The question is if no event has happened is is necessary/desired to check the heads for flatness?
I would atleast have them surfaced and checked out for cracks

2: The EDE's have an option for BB or Journal bearings on the Atmo wheel. They are suggesting a turbo timer to allow for turbo cool down if I go with the BB. However, the BB option is only for the Atmo not the high pressure turbo if I understand it correctly. I think they are assuming that this one has BB too. I could see the need given the temps it runs at but am curious if that is required if the Atmo is BB?
the 72mm isnt available in a BB i dont think, ive got the tow power x with the 76mm BB, the atmo is the only one thats BB, high pressure will be journal, no need for a turbo timer if you're not an idiot...just let the truck cool down the 400* on egts before shutting it off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Thanks Webb06.

This is the first time anyone has informed me that cooling down the turbos was a necessary precaution. If I didn't have a tuned truck with the capability to know what my EGT's were how would one do this? There isn't a method on a stock truck as far as I know. Thanks for the advice on the heads too. I think I have read that before. Especially looking for cracks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to challenge Rudy's on the BB's then. Their literature says its an option.

·
09 6.4
989 Posts
its just a common rule of thumb. most people driving a stock diesel know absolutely nothing about a diesel so they just do whatever.

·
Registered
955 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info again on EGT temps before engine shutdown. My primary focus for this purchase was to have a very serviceable vehicle for a very long time. I realize I've done stuff that appears on the surface to be for more power and can obviously be used for that. But my intention is to remove/add anything that can prolong the life of this vehicle and extend it's usability.

585, I think it will be. The turbos arrive today. UPS say on the truck for delivery. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts