Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AFE advertises itself and is promoted by vendors as being a cold air intake system. The baffle included with this system hardly seems efficient to me. Has any one tested the air intake temperature using the OEM sensor with it plugged into the baffle versus in the engine bay. Just curious how much cold air is actually getting to this intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
there was a guy that insulated his afe2 with some kind of foiled insulation, claimed he notice a very minor improvement.

personally I think the lie-o-meter would notice anything the fastest.
but that is just a WAG.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I wouldn't worry as much about intake temps as I would CFM flow, the turbo is going to heat things up anyway with compression, even if you can get the intake to pull in fresh air from outside the engine bay, the difference on a diesel is almost unnoticeable. the best solution here would be to get the highest flowing intake possible with the least amount restriction before the turbo and call it a day.:D

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
yup;)

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
The only place you would see any real differance is when at a stand still. Once your moving you would be amazed at the amound of air that moves thru the engine bay...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only place you would see any real differance is when at a stand still. Once your moving you would be amazed at the amound of air that moves thru the engine bay...
The numbers quoted in the linked post above are moving down the road at hiway speed.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Exactly what I am saying... When standing still there will be no differance, but once up to speed the differance will be noticable.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly what I am saying... When standing still there will be no differance, but once up to speed the differance will be noticable.
So you think that a 5-7º difference at the manifold is significant and noticeable?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Yes I would think you would see a differance both in HP and Temp at the turbo outlet...

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
Yes I would think you would see a differance both in HP and Temp at the turbo outlet...
But the 5-7 degree drop in the maifold is after the turbo outlet. How much HP is that small temp drop worth.

I don't know how much different the flow is between the 6637 and AFE II, but peak boost numbers were the same and turbo spool seemed to be the same.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Mine works GREAT and makes lots of power. A diesel NEEEEEEDS to breath. Buy one you wont be sorry. It also helps to lower EGTs.

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
I did not notice a difference in EGT's between the 6637 and AFE II. However, it's been wet and snowy around here since I put it on, so I haven't been able to really run the truck hard...except for one day and I had an HPOP line decide to start puking oil, so the truck got parked for a couple days until I could replace the line.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine works GREAT and makes lots of power. A diesel NEEEEEEDS to breath. Buy one you wont be sorry. It also helps to lower EGTs.
Show me the numbers. Dyno with AFE and 6637 or better yet make several consecutive passes with each one and show me the difference in your trap speed.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
I ran an open intake before and data logged my drag race runs. After I switched to the AFE stage 2(with the zoodad mod) and I was data logging at the drag strip I saw an 80* drop in intake temps at the lights. After the 1/8 mile the temps were only 10-20* lower than before. I will try to see if I have the data logs still, that was on a different laptop.

This is what I had before:

This is what I have now:

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
what kind of filter is that first one?

as far as further temp reduction you could try sticking some dyna mat or insulated foil on the barrier, course it would make a mess if it didn't improve things much. maybe some of that foiled buble wrap lowes has for insulating hot water heaters and such hot glued in place...just thinking out loud

there was one guy that did his and said it helped some.

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
What I'm wondering is how much more can it actually help? While moving down the road, IAT's are already only 7-10 degrees above ambient. Let's say we could get the IAT down to 2 degrees above ambient -- what kind of gains are we talking about seeing here with an extra 5-8 degree IAT drop?

I know that MAT was already down to 2-4 degrees above ambient but, that was while cruising on flat ground at a pretty constant 5-7 psi of boost. I'm sure if I were loaded and towing up a pass, the difference would be greater and a drop in IAT might be of some benefit there.

I can also see how a better insulated box might help in the staging lanes at the strip. For the 99.7% of the time my truck is driving down the road though, I've got to wonder if the extra effort to draw air that's any cooler is even worth it. The AFE II seems to be doing a pretty good job of it now. I don't think the open element 6637 was really suffering at all though once the truck was underway.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The AFE II seems to be doing a pretty good job of it now. I don't think the open element 6637 was really suffering at all though once the truck was underway.
My concern would be how do the silicon levels compare between the two since there is little difference in performance.

·
Needs more hours per day
1,781 Posts
I'm going to find out, but it may take a while. I changed oil the day before I put the AFE II in place, so I'll have a fresh sample to start with. I've got UOA data from the past 2+ years of running a 6637 to look at and compare. First test will be with a standard filter and cover, then a Proguard 7 with cover. I'll put the Proguard on at next oil change, whenever that may be.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts