Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for an intake for my truck now and i have read that the afe stage 2 claims to add up to 50hp that just doesn't sound right to me?? Any imput is appreciated on this thanks.

·
Paul
160 Posts
It took me a while to find a site that included that claim.
I say it's hype, not that it's a bad intake. Being an open element type, you can expect more noise. Some like that and some don't. It's a good intake but I would not expect to feel any difference in power. The stock air box is known for leaking and dusting turbos and engines so getting something else is a good idea. The only one I would be very careful of and that I absolutly avoid is K&N. They use only 2 layers of filter media where other washable diesel intakes use 5-7 layers for much cleaner air. JMHO

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,350 Posts
It took me a while to find a site that included that claim.
I say it's hype, not that it's a bad intake. Being an open element type, you can expect more noise. Some like that and some don't. It's a good intake but I would not expect to feel any difference in power. The stock air box is known for leaking and dusting turbos and engines so getting something else is a good idea. The only one I would be very careful of and that I absolutly avoid is K&N. They use only 2 layers of filter media where other washable diesel intakes use 5-7 layers for much cleaner air. JMHO

50 hp gains with supporting mods (chip and exhaust) just like anything else you buy that has HP claims...just the intake alone will let the turbo (any turbo) spin sooner then a closed air box will...you will feel gains on the lower end..or at least i did when i put mine on....it also cleand up some black smoke and moved the whistle too the tail pipe,it also stopped a lot of what i thought was exhaust drone sound i had in the cab like the 6637 gave me..this was all when i had a stock E99 turbo..also the stage 2 is not a completely open filter..it is closed off from the motor and sealed to the hood with a rubber seal too keep the engine heat out but is open in front of the battery and the inner fender to catch the cool air coming in..it is much quieter then the 6637 especially with my GTP 38 R..it is pricey but but im happy with it..it filter's and flows plenty of air to run a large turbo if you go that far in your truck

·
Paul
160 Posts
Good customer review.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i was undecided on the afe stage 2 or the 6637, but after reading that i think i'm going to give the afe stage 2 a try. Thanks for all the help.

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I got one not long after I got my truck 5 years ago, at 350 its a bit pricey, but worth it. I did go to a progaurd 7 filter after mine got beat up, one thing I highly recomend is a pre filter of some sort. I need one for mine, I pull it off now n then, take a blow gun to it and get the bugs out of the pleats.

Dan

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
I looked at a truck with a DIY intake set up using one, I,m sure it works good, just dont like the hot air part fropm engine heat and the radiator. I put mine on I did the Zoo dad mod, just to help with it getting cooler air. I took some rubber sheet and made a duct of sorts to funel the air into the box and keep the heat out. Never had any problems with water intrusion, but I did fill it up with snow once, LOL.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts