Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed this, I wanted to try a different aftermarket cover than the usual choice Mag Hytec.

I am real impressed with the fit, finish and strength of this cover. It is on par with Mag , and I like the bling factor of the AFe. I feel overall it looks a lot better than the Mag .

They both have the a magnetic drain plug, a magnetic tipped fill plug and use a o-ring instead of a gasket which is a plus in my book. (unlike others)

The AFe does have Internal fins too (Mag does not) which supposedly absorbs heat from lubricating fluid as well as the external fins(both).

Another big plus is the Oil level sight glass on the AFe.

The Afe has two 1/8 NPT temperature sender ports to Mag Hytec's one.

Unlike with Mag Hytec where they ship a allen wrench with the cover, AFe does not. Not a big deal for me since I have tools, but could be to someone.

Even though Afe marketing materials and the sellers advertise Afe holds 5 quarts ( quart over stock) , it is actually 4.5 per the directions ( a tad disapointing) . I put 5 in mine anyway. It appears to be a little over full per the sight glass.

Mag Hytec holds 6 quarts.

Personally, functionally I see no difference between the 2 covers.I guess you could argue that the larger diff capcity of the Mag Hytec will better cool , but one could arque the same with the AFe internal fins.

Knowing what I know now, I would still go with the AFe on my truck for the looks, and the creature comforts of the sight glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
479 Posts
Looks badass man! Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
94 Posts
i like them! thanks for te write up. Only down fall i see is the sight glass. Alot if dirt bikes had site glasses on there engine covers and we would always yank those off and replace them with a cover with out a sight glass (one you had to remove a bolt to check) due the the site glass getting broke and loosing your oil. Just a thought, But none the less i do like them!!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
What was the price tag on the afe cover vs the hytec?

·
Horsepower Enthusiast
370 Posts
I kinda like the sight glass feature, didn't notice that when I was browsing through diff covers before.

My truck is 2wd so I don't think I'll catch it much on anything. LOL

·
TimmyaleX
656 Posts
So the AFE doesn't increase fluid capacity?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was the price tag on the afe cover vs the hytec?
the afe lists for more, but you will end up paying a little less for the Afe if you shop around the vendors. The afe has been going on sale at times.
I run Mobil one synthetic at 20 bucks a pop so the Mag would have also cost more over the life of my truck regardless. However, honestly price never really entered my decision.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the AFE doesn't increase fluid capacity?
It does, just not a lot, .5 qt based on the reading I got with mine. (directions support that. Mag is a full 2 qt.
I did the liter conversion again just to make sure , and it is really like .75 qts more on the Afe over stock and Mag a full 2 qts over based on experience.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Incase anyones wondering.. I got stock diff cover, just changed the oil today. Its took 3x 946ml+ 206ml friction modifier and I had it over flow a bit. Works out to 3.23q. 1L=1.06quart

·
Registered
9 Posts
I apologize if this is hijacking your thread but anyone know of a cover for the Dana 110 in my 2008 F450?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts