Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
I'm just going to say this about the aftermarket air filters and this is in no way a jab at AFE as I run their elements myself.

Here in the trucking business where I work we have seen a tremendous increase in the number of dusted engines since 2008 MY and up and many of them have been because of the slightest missteps by the owners of these trucks.

For instance, truck drivers have always blown out their air filters w/ compressed air and reinstalled their used air filters. Well doing that w/ a modern engine and it's extremely tight tolerances will most certainly lead to a dusted engine inside of 60K miles. It's due to microscopic holes that are created in the filter element.

I've seen countless others dusted due to the smallest holes elsewhere in the intake system. Holes that would not have phased an older engine.

Beaware.

·
<-•DEISEL CRAFT•
565 Posts
I'm just going to say this about the aftermarket air filters and this is in no way a jab at AFE as I run their elements myself.

Here in the trucking business where I work we have seen a tremendous increase in the number of dusted engines since 2008 MY and up and many of them have been because of the slightest missteps by the owners of these trucks.

For instance, truck drivers have always blown out their air filters w/ compressed air and reinstalled their used air filters. Well doing that w/ a modern engine and it's extremely tight tolerances will most certainly lead to a dusted engine inside of 60K miles. It's due to microscopic holes that are created in the filter element.

I've seen countless others dusted due to the smallest holes elsewhere in the intake system. Holes that would not have phased an older engine.

Beaware.
well what kind of trucks do you work on like f250-f550 or big turcks like f650 +

i have not seen any dusted 6.4ls yet and i work at a ford dealership.
but most trucks do have stock filters.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
We sell Kenworths. I am in sales.

I've seen all of the Cummins and Cat motors dusted from the 6.7 ISB to the 14.9 ISX liters.

Other manufacturers are seeing the same thing.

I'll admit that our application is 1000x more severe than the average pick up truck's as these trucks spend a lot of time in these extremely dusty pits. Last summer was record heat and drought in TX and the pits were just big blinding dust storms. Add in the fact that these large motors are sucking huge amounts of air in as they work hard it's easy to see how air filtration is more of a concern for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts