Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Got 'Er Did
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ordering a new intake with turbo in the mornin'

pros, cons, and comments would be great!

·
Need more cowbell!!!
18 Posts
AIS will keep the dirt out of that new turbo of yours - that is a fact. Love mine.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
ordering a new intake with turbo in the mornin'

pros, cons, and comments would be great!
What kind of upgrades do you have planned for the future? That will determine the intake you should purchase.

AIS is good for a stock to mildly modified PSD. Beyond that, it's very restrictive compared to other intakes such as the AFE or Tymar.

·
Freedom is not free
888 Posts
I had the AIS with fender sleeve on for @ 2 years, worked great, but after the stage I single shots went in I switched to the 6637.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
both should be fine with an 80econo tune.
ais will be quieter...both will keep dirt out.
other then that what they said...
I know haulin horses runs an 80e tune , h2e and stage 1's iirc
think he added a fender sleeve, but he was pretty happy with his...
though he lives in a dusty area..

every now and then I catch him eyeballing an afe, comparision posts
but he hasn't switch yet.

personally of the two choices, i would get an ais, and save the other money for something like a 203 tstat and coolant filter. But I just made my own tymarish system...and spent my extra on an alarm/ remote start.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I agree with Pocket. The AIS is a good STOCK replacement. If you plan on a turbo and bigger things in the future, buy the AFE stage II once and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I know haulin horses runs an 80e tune , h2e and stage 1's iirc (Note added by author:DDP AC singles with mild EH nozzles, Stage 1.5 LOL)
think he added a fender sleeve, but he was pretty happy with his...
though he lives in a dusty area..

every now and then I catch him eyeballing an afe, comparision posts
but he hasn't switch yet.
You won't see me running an aFe. Perhaps a bigger paper filter but it's first job is to keep the dirt out. For now the AIS is all I need. The most restrictive part of the AIS is the snorkel, not the filter material. I put the fender sleeve mod in to help with that restriction. With a new filter at WOT with the 80e tune, it will suck down the filter minder to 1/4. Not a big deal if you understand these filters. That is practically no restriction at all. If I need more air, I will go to a Tymar like filter. Seems to be good enough for Sapps and a few others that are moving more air than I am. If AFE came out with a filter that flows more air than the AIS and filters as well, I would jump on it. To date however, I have not seen an data to support that contention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts