Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Diesel390
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Intercooler finally arrived, only took four and a half months since apparently AFe did not finish manufacturing new stock until recently. Anyways she showed up slightly bruised on the sides from shipping but since I received a killer deal on it I won't complain.
So install is pretty straight forward and super easy. Only thing I would suggest is have another person hold the unbolted AC condenser/fuel cooler out of the way when you put the new intercooler in so your not bending fins or putting holes in any rads. The AFe intercooler is definitely heavier and requires two hands. So be very careful. BTW brake clean and hair spray your hoses after too. I had a bit of a tough time removing the hoses of the stock intercooler from the last time I sprayed them, so it goes to show how well it works.
Anyways, before I put her on I did the usual drive around town and the highway taking down numbers to see what kinda difference it makes. I made sure both before and after the conditions were identical (temperature, wind, roads, weight, speeds, tune, accelerations). I did each run twice. Apologize to the Americans for my metric speeds...
So here is what I averaged for exhaust temperatures:
..............Stock Intercooler l AFe Intercooler l Difference
50km/h........400f....................390f.................10f
70km/h........525f....................500f.................25f
110km/h......800f....................760f.................40f
WOT Peak....1800f..................1710f................90f
Idle.............250f....................245f.................5f

An obvious decrease in temperatures in all events so we know that I'm getting a more complete combustion (More complete combustion= more HP and MPG). As speed goes up I can see the direct correlation between speed and temp. The decrease is uniform. So to see a decrease in an empty truck makes me wonder how much more it would help those who tow a lot.

As for power, I didn't expect much but wow. I feel the truck has more top end both from rolling or a stop. Turbo lag once again feels to be less and I am very impressed. I wish I had a dyno to see what actual difference it makes.
Also I noticed immediately that the intake has a louder, deeper tone. Sounds awesome.
Ascetically it looks really good being able to see it through the grill. Almost like some added bling that intimidates other diesels.
So here are my pics:

Before with Stock Intercooler

Stock vs AFe

Stock vs AFe (Stock fin section width is 22.5" and AFe is 23.5")

Stock vs AFe widths (stock is 2.25" and AFe 3.12") Big difference!

After with AFe Intercooler

So for sure the AFe intercooler is way less restricting and has a better cooling capacity than stock from the dramatic size increase.
When I get a chance I will try for some mileage numbers to see if there was a difference. I'm certain there is an increase though.
All in all I'm very pleased with the results and recommend it to any superduty.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Truck looks sick. Results are nice too, you normally see most people saying intercoolers on these trucks dont make a difference unless youre towing... I was you got intake air temperature differences as well :-/ . Not sure how important they are but itd show how much it cools the incoming air compared to stock, my twin turbo audi with aftermarket side mount intercoolers ran like 20 degrees above ambient when moving, wayyy less with the water/meth injection ;-)

·
Diesel390
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Truck looks sick. Results are nice too, you normally see most people saying intercoolers on these trucks dont make a difference unless youre towing... I was you got intake air temperature differences as well :-/ . Not sure how important they are but itd show how much it cools the incoming air compared to stock, my twin turbo audi with aftermarket side mount intercoolers ran like 20 degrees above ambient when moving, wayyy less with the water/meth injection ;-)
Thanks guys. Yeah lots of guys seem to think aftermarket intercoolers are only good for heavy towing or extremely modified trucks but that's so false. I was totally impressed to see a difference throughout so I know it's not just a WOT mod. I took intake temps before and after at different speeds but never saw a difference. I'm not sure where abouts the temp sensor is located though, I will have to look. I don't remember any sensors after the intercooler. Anyways, what i do know is I did several WOT runs, got out touched the intake port of the intercooler and it was very hot, and touched the exit side of the intercooler and it was ice cold. So She is doing her job :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
That is awsome to hear!! And yea maybe our intake temps are near the air filter or something, on my car it was right before the throttle body/entering the motor.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
LoL, yeah the weight of the AFE one surprised me. The stock one don't weigh nothing but the AFE is a heavy mofo. Glad to see some figures, I only compared mine to daily cruising to work temps and I noticed a drop. I'm noticing an even bigger drop now that the cooler weather is rolling in.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I would say youd see a quicker/bigger drop during colder temps... Especially after sitting and idling at say a light or something when you begin to get a lot of heat soak.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wonder if this will result in less airflow to the radiator? Im just curious, but if you were towing would the coolant temps be higher with the new intercooler?

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I can't say I've really noticed to much to be honest but my truck runs cool all the time and never really gets up to operating temps unless it's just really hot out.

·
Diesel390
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey thanks guys... Appreciate the feedback.

I wonder if this will result in less airflow to the radiator? Im just curious, but if you were towing would the coolant temps be higher with the new intercooler?
Well I doubt it will make much difference in coolant temps. As far as empty, it makes no difference that I have seen. Towing maybe a few degrees but I can't see it changing much there either. The thermostat would open a little more and a little sooner to counter that if it made that much of a difference. And common sense would say with lower EGT's from having the intercooler produces lower combustion temps also, so the engine would be releasing less heat for the rad to get rid of.

On different note, I have noticed my boost use to peak at 48PSI when she shifted from 4th locked to 5th at WOT. Now I haven't been able to get it over 43PSI . My best guess would be the less resistance and larger volume giving much more space to compress the air. I do know though for sure the truck feels more powerful still and is wickedly quick for throttle response. The intercooler really compliments the rest of the airflow upgrades alot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good information on this write up and i would guess less turbo psi will = less back pressure on the turbo... Would this be wright...

·
Diesel390
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright so I finally was around long enough to do some more WOT runs. My maximum boost now is 46 PSI vs. my before of 48 PSI. Not a 100% sure why just after the install all I could get was 43 PSI unless the ECM was actually adapting to the new intercooler characteristics. But still a definite 2 PSI decrease from before the intercooler.
My back pressure on the other hand has not changed one bit. I'm beginning to doubt my bp sensor accuracy. Right from the start when I just had H&S 300 CAI and 4inch DP back exhaust it always peaked at 69 PSI corrected. After all the upgrades and and 300 tune updates it still peaks at exactly 69 PSI. I'm curious as to whether the sensor can even detect pressure higher than 69 PSI or if it maxs out at 69. Back pressure should be lower with the lower boost pressure. But yes 08SUPERKING you are correct still. Like I said though, I have little faith in that sensor. Either way that bp is really high and I decided I shall be waste gating in the near future. Waiting on new stock right now for the one I will install though :(
Anyways I have a bunch of highway driving to do tomorrow so I will have mileage numbers by the evening.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You gonna be doing the wastegate cab on?

·
Diesel390
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You gonna be doing the wastegate cab on?
Yeah but it's the Wide Open Performance Wastegate Kit which just bolts to the old EGR tubing so it wont be hard to install at all. Genius if you ask me. Plus it vents to atmosphere so it will sound insane. I have heard good things about it and its stays pretty clean down there too. Even if I don't want to vent to atmosphere anymore i can easily weld up some flex tubing to the downpipe without cab off. Anyways I think a lot of guys want to get this kit for it's simplicity so I plan on reviewing it.

I did my highway driving today and the first half I averaged a 0.5MPG increase and the second half was a 1.0MPG increase. Same highway I always drive so I know the numbers before and after really well. Only pain is the weather changing so much that its hard to distinguish if its the intercooler or the colder weather, or a combination making the difference.
And another thing I have noticed is that with so little turbo lag now, I can easily roast my rear 39" tires up on dry pavement without any boosted launch. And I'm talkin full burnout smoke show not gaining much speed tire killer. Just mash the pedal to the floor. The power is so quick that in no time from a stop the torque really kicks in and bye bye tires. Couldn't do that without some boost before. In fact I can burn them at only 3/4 throttle from a stop.
So moral of story is that intercoolers=awesomeness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dealing with a warranty issue with AFe,, bought it from aqua sun motorsports (eBay store) one of the welds gave so it now leaks oil. AFe agreed it was/is a manufacturing defect so hopefully they honor the warranty cause aqua sun motorsports won't . So beware from buying anything from aqua sun motorsports.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts