Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy one or the other just don't know witch one is better.

With AE I could scan any of the Fords my family owns and that is all we own.

But with the scan gauge I can look at it all the time in my truck.

Is there anything that one can do that the other can't?

I want to hear from people that have used BOTH of these to see witch one is better and why you like it over the other one.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some more research I am leaning toward AE and I have some more questions. I read that in 2004 Ford switched from OBDII to CAN is there an adapter for this? I have a lot of Ford vehicles in the family and 5 of them are newer than 04 and I would like to be able to use AE on them.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
After some more research I am leaning toward AE and I have some more questions. I read that in 2004 Ford switched from OBDII to CAN is there an adapter for this? I have a lot of Ford vehicles in the family and 5 of them are newer than 04 and I would like to be able to use AE on them.
No adapter necessary Trey. Port is the same. Just different protocols

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No adapter necessary Trey. Port is the same. Just different protocols
Thats what I wanted to know. so AE will work with 96 through present correct?

·
FNG
6,018 Posts

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AE is sounding better and better.

It's not like I'm going to want to look at all that stuff all the time so why not have it so I can hook it to anything I want.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts

It's not like I'm going to want to look at all that stuff all the time so why not have it so I can hook it to anything I want.
Exactly. I need to order it myself. I have just been borrowing a friends but he's 180 miles from me:doh:

·
Sleep well my brothers
2,063 Posts

Thats why I went with AE too. But I got the domestic bundle that can read Ford, Dodge and chebbys.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats why I went with AE too. But I got the domestic bundle that can read Ford, Dodge and chebbys.
I think for now I'm going to go with AE just because of the fact that we have 13 Ford vehicles in the family that I could use it on if I had 2. My family don't believe in other motor company's :ford:

I do like the cool factor of a scanguage though so maybe someday I will get one.

·
Sponsor
1,583 Posts
get off your moldy money and buy them both...:poke:

I use AE to datalog with, but I use the scangauge every day to monitor ICP, IPR duty cycle, injector PW, oil temp, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Also it cycles through different parameters constantly, so you can monitor up to 8 different things... pretty nice if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, I like AE also, and use it a bunch, but my laptop has a 17 inch screen, so its not real friendly to have in the truck all the time.

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
get off your moldy money and buy them both...:poke:

I use AE to datalog with, but I use the scangauge every day to monitor ICP, IPR duty cycle, injector PW, oil temp, and a bunch of other cool stuff. Also it cycles through different parameters constantly, so you can monitor up to 8 different things... pretty nice if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong, I like AE also, and use it a bunch, but my laptop has a 17 inch screen, so its not real friendly to have in the truck all the time.
Nice sales pitch NateLOL

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice sales pitch NateLOL
:whs: But I don't have the money for both right now lol.

I think I'm going to go with AE for now. I can use it in more than one place. And my laptop has a 14.1" screen so It sits on the arm rest easy.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
AE is a tool, scan gauge is a gauge... think of it that way.

If I had to chose between one or the other, AE wins everytime.

And yes I have both.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AE is a tool, scan gauge is a gauge... think of it that way.

If I had to chose between one or the other, AE wins everytime.

And yes I have both.
How often do you look at the gauge and monitor it all when your are driving since you have 30 other gauges LOL

But honestly is is something you monitor every time you go out for a drive?

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
How often do you look at the gauge and monitor it all when your are driving since you have 30 other gauges LOL

But honestly is is something you monitor every time you go out for a drive?

The scan gauge is in a pod over the steering column... Its there all the time, and is 90% of the time on ICP and duty cycle... Do I need to watch those, nope, I have a Isspro HPO Pressure gauge that could go in that spot, but it is nice to read and clear codes while driving down the road.

I could live without the scan gauge, I could not live without the AE set up. You can change tire size, data log, buzz, cont, KOEO, KOER, ANTI LOCK, just about anything a ford shop can do you can with the AE stuff.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
About the only thing AE cant do is get my truck running..............:rolleyes::doh:

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could live without the scan gauge, I could not live without the AE set up. You can change tire size, data log, buzz, cont, KOEO, KOER, ANTI LOCK, just about anything a ford shop can do you can with the AE stuff.
That is the kind of info I was looking for.

About the only thing AE cant do is get my truck running..............:rolleyes::doh:
LOLLOLLOLLOL

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I have both and agree with CSIPSD, if I had to choose, it would be AE everytime. AE is much more capable as a tool. The scangauge is a fantastic gauge.

·
Smarty Power!
2,567 Posts
I've got both as well, and I only look at the gauge when the LED indicators come on for ICP Duty Cycle. Other than that, it's just another thing in the truck I pay no attention to.

It was nice before I bought AE, but now that I've got AE, I probably wouldn't buy another Scan Gauge.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts