Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine owns a 2001 chevy 1500, 4x4, with the 5.3

He's wantin to do a little performance work to it. He already has an exhaust and I told him he needs to get a cold air intake first off. What's the best brand? K&N on a gasser?

Do they make chips for these things? Who does good tuning? Any other little tricks to this motor?
Thanks

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
i know that hypertech and superchips makes a tuner for them, K&N should be fine on a gasser or an AFE, the next thing id do would to put a throttle body spacer or some shorty headers on it.

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
EFI live is the true best, there are quite a few places that do performance stuff for them, alot of turbo kits ect, My buddy had one with a hypertech, and k&n and it ran pretty darn good. Throttle body, mas air flow, stuff like that will help as well as some headers, just depends on how far he wants to go, the 5.3 is a great engine.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not lookin for a drag truck. Just some extra power on the streets.

So efi live, CAI, exhaust which he has already should be a good street rig?

What else would he need to do to support these mods?

·
WWDD
10,531 Posts
Nothing really, the transmissions are pretty tough and i think with EFI live you can control shift points, firmess ect, even a hypertech or something will probably work plenty good for him, Ill do som searching around and see how much custom tuning there is out there for them.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing really, the transmissions are pretty tough and i think with EFI live you can control shift points, firmess ect, even a hypertech or something will probably work plenty good for him, Ill do som searching around and see how much custom tuning there is out there for them.
Thanks man. Let me know if you come up with anything. If off the shelf boxes aren't as horrible on a gasser as they are on our diesels I'll just have him stick with one of those. A chip is probably as far as he will ever go

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
I would have the throttle body ported, get an intake, and at least a cat back (and maybe gut the cats if he can). I would also have him look into some long tube headers and a tune from TunedByFrost.com - Professional Tuning For Your LSx Powered Car or Truck I mention him because he pretty much specializes in the GM stuff, and i believe the 5.3 is a LSx based motor (which this guy does camaro's and vette's all day)

·
<-MONEY PITT!!
1,308 Posts
Well i have efi live for my LS swaped nova and my turbo silverado and yes you can pretty much do any thing including custom operating systems with efi live but for what your buddy wants just go with a off the shelf programmer. I ran pacesetter headers and a off road y pipe for years before the turbo set up and they work well. And dont worry about the rods those little motors are touched by the hands of god!!! there are many stock bottom end ls motors makin 600 to 900hp if you want more info on these go to ls1tech.com then go to the performance trucks section more info on these trucks then you could shake a stick at :postwhore2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts