Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As always, protect the wiring associated with a GV unit.

Second, be sure to put enough fluid in it. Fill the unit til fluid flows out of the side-mounted fill hole.

·
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah! I didn't toast it, but the wire than run up my shift lever developed an intermuittent short and the overdrive would drop out everytime I hit the right kind of bump then re-engage.

Also, they only sent me one bottle of fluid. With my deep sump, it takes two.

Now it works so much nicer.

I recommend the GV and a gear change if you are a high-mileage driver.

I drive about 45 miles one-way unloaded and find the GV and my 3.08 gears to be very effective.

If you don't do something, you are stuck with the 14-16 MPG numbers everyone here seems to be so proud of.

·
Running at last...
2,782 Posts
Yea I just Changed from 4:10 to 3:55. BUT have not got to run it yet for some odd reason.. :)

The main thing I am a little concerned about is towing. Will they make it harder to tow?? I also went with a ZF6 Tranny the same time. So The LOW could be nice to get ti moving. AND the high OD should kick my RPMs back when just cruising around.

But I wonder if a GV would help for MPG much over what I just did. AND still help for towing. Give a couple extra gears to help counter balance the 3:55s. It not uncommon to hook 20 to 30 thousand pounds behind my pickup. So Will a GV hold up to that kind of load?? Or will it eat the GV up??

David

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
It's a rig that is designed for way more payload then a Superduty.

It's something like this: (Mind I could be totally wrong, I believe there was posted a picture on another GV thread here.)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would say the GV would be perfect for you long commute and occasional towing. Using the overdrive beteren tour last 2 gears is almost perfect when pulling à heavy load at highway speed. Thats just the way i see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts