Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running IDP custom tunes on my SCT X4 for a while, and they work great. I have the Extreme Street (140hp +/-) , Street (100hp +/-) , and Towing tunes (60hp +/-). I mostly just run the towing tune.

When ever I change a tune using the SCT X4, I have the option of changing the shift points, and also the shift firmness in each gear. If I'm running a "custom tune", not one of the SCT canned tunes, is it ok to mess around with the shift points and firmness.......or should I just leave all of that alone? I know I can have IDP adjust stuff for me......I was just curious if I can do it myself using the SCT X4 since it gives me that option.

Thanks!

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Well, if it's shifting too early or too late, then sure, why not. If it's shifting way too hard or taking forever then same thing. Go for it.

If the timing and firmness seems normal, then don't mess with it. The tcm is supposed to be adapting all of that on it's own. But I don't know what happens when different software is thrown into the mix.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,077 Posts
The TCM does not adapt when it shifts. It only adapts how hard it shifts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to one of the guys at IDP....he pretty much told me not to mess with it. No real technical answer.....just "leave it alone". So at this point....I guess that's what I will do.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
I talked to one of the guys at IDP....he pretty much told me not to mess with it. No real technical answer.....just "leave it alone". So at this point....I guess that's what I will do.
That's probably pretty good advice. Especially if there are no complaints with how it's shifting.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
I cleared the adaptive values on a tcm one time, I can't remember why I did that now. But when I took it for a test drive it felt like the trans was going to fall out of the truck it was so bad. Took a while for it to go back to normal too.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I would have to assume idp already has your trans tuning. So yeah, don't touch it.
And yes, there's procedures for resetting the adaptive.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts