Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have overboosted twice now with my oba on and I think that I need to adjust it, but am not sure. It doesn't overboost everytime i got over 22 just at random times. Do you guys think it needs adjusted and how do I do it if so?

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts
Are you sure it's not setting a P1211 code for ICP below desired?

-Michael

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um. not sure what code it is setting. When I dig into it it sets the check engine light when I let off the throttle and then I can't boost over 10psi and about 2to3 minutes later the light goes off and I can boost again.

·
2010 BOB Points Runner up
2,300 Posts
Just making sure, but what I usually do to adjust them is use the live data stream on a scan tool to monitor 'Manifold Gauge Pressure' and adjust it to where it will be right at 21-22 psi when you have peak boost.

They're suppost to be preset, but a truck that makes 26 psi of peak boost will need to be set different than one that makes 50 psi

-Michael

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
They're suppost to be preset, but a truck that makes 26 psi of peak boost will need to be set different than one that makes 50 psi
-Michael
I'm pretty sure they don't work like your thinking....they are set to 22lbs, if you run 23lbs or a 75lbs that OBA is only going to allow 22lbs through. That's how regulators work.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
if you are just seeing a check engine light it could be your hpop crying for mercy.

mine does it if i stay on it for 7 sec straight.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats not all I am seeing is a check engine light, I am not getting boost over 10lbs either til it clears.

·
Going Crazy
1,533 Posts
The loss of power is kinda odd for an over boost cel, mine used to overboost alll the time and set the light but it never did anything powerwise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the problem with getting the codes read is it only stays on for a few minutes. Not long enough for me to get anywhere to read it, and it is also hit and miss when it decides to do it.:confused:

·
riverjet
459 Posts
If it overboost hard the computer will defuel the truck for a bit. Restarting or driving for a few minutes will return it to normal. Some trucks defuel..... some don't. To check my setting,I used my scan gauge.It sees what the computor sees or hook a boost gauge to the map side of the hose to check what the map sees after the fooler. Some types of foolers can stick at times too.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Sounds like a defuel or wastegate stickn,
minee flashes a light but doesn't drop out of power, just flashes at me tells me my turbo and hpop have lil peepee's
and gives me no additional powa.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Joe, last night I dug into it and set the light but was able to keep boost around 32 pounds with the light on. Makes me wonder if it is backpressure from wot. Because it doesn't set until after I let off the loud pedal.

·
Getting Faster...
150 Posts
Yeah, you probably have something sticking. If you're getting intermittent boost like that, it cold be a sticking wastegate or EBPV.

On a stock truck with hot tunes, you'll likely see ICP uncontrollable, excessive backpressure, KOEO error, but not the overboost code if the OBA is working. You may also see a wastegate or EBPV code if they are sticking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I was wondering if something was sticking. The truck is going back to the shop wednesday, it has an oil leak coming out of the turbo pedistal or the hpop can't really tell. But I've spent 12k on this motor in the past month so i'm not looking to hard they can fix it for free, or they better anyway.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well its kind of a long story, a lot of it is labor and tax but that doesn't take away from what I spent. I took it in to have the 200cc hyrbids put in, 38r, regulated return, airbox and tuner. Got it back few days later and on the way home I over revved it cause my tires hit a patch of ice. So when that happend it bent 2 push rods so back to the shop it went. They pulled the heads off and sent them to the machine shop to make sure there wasn't any damage and of course there was, so it got a good head job done on it new exhaust valves, and port and polished. Then I put di pushrods in it so this doesn't happen ever again as well as comp 910 valvesprings, new oil pan gasket and new rear main seal since the motor was out. While I was waiting on the heads to get back I went ahead and ordered up some bellowed up pipes and sent them as well as the manifolds in to get ceramic coated. Also had to put a new piston in for #4 because it got beat up pretty good when I over revved. So not a whole lot in the block just a bit of little stuff that added up and labor is always a bitch. Sucks it wasn't really above zero much in February here and I don't have a garage to do it myself otherwise I would have.

·
<- Sums it up
1,739 Posts
the problem with getting the codes read is it only stays on for a few minutes. Not long enough for me to get anywhere to read it, and it is also hit and miss when it decides to do it.:confused:
Two words: "Data log". Works every time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts