Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am needing an adjustable trac bar for my 01 350 srw. I believe donahoe and fabtech make them. Does anyone have any info on which one is the one to get and where to get it.
Thanks
Ted

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Fabtech is basically the same build as a stocker but with an adjustment sleeve on it.

Donahoe is t-7075 billet, so it has a great strength to weight ratio, uses heavy duty sleeved poly-urethane bushings (one RH, one LH thread so it can easily be adjusted on the vehicle).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Here is a pic of some I built.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Look nice...but those are traction bars.

The original poster asked about adj trac bars (the bar that keeps the front axle centered under the truck.....normally runs parallel behind the drag link).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
sorry

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an adjustable trac-bar made by Rubicon. Bought it used and its been on the truck for almost 2 years with no problems.

·
Dieselitis Incuribis
62 Posts
I got one off Ebay from a guy named Cudadart. He lists his adjustable trac bars occasionally as he builds them. 100.00$ plus shipping. I have one for my truck and it is excellent :rockwoot:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Okay... do the OBS trucks have these? I dont remember(the 1 tons)...

First, why not just scrap the thing, I know what it does.. .but, on a leaf spring truck...

Second, you I dont think it would make TOO much difference at lower lift levels...

BUT, if that trac bar isnt parallel to the steering link, you can have some bump steer issues...

·
Who is Obama?
1,779 Posts
what is bump steer? I've always wondered...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Bumpsteer is exactly what it sounds like...

You hit a bump, and the geometry of the suspension, and steering linkages, cause a change, in your alignment.. now, this always happens, though, manufaturers, suspension builders, etc, all try to MINIMIZE it...

Ever hit a bump with with an IFS car or truck and had to correct the steering? Thats bumpsteer... hit a bump, and it steers the car or truck..

Chase

·
Who is Obama?
1,779 Posts
Bumpsteer is exactly what it sounds like...

You hit a bump, and the geometry of the suspension, and steering linkages, cause a change, in your alignment.. now, this always happens, though, manufaturers, suspension builders, etc, all try to MINIMIZE it...

Ever hit a bump with with an IFS car or truck and had to correct the steering? Thats bumpsteer... hit a bump, and it steers the car or truck..

Chase
So I get a lot of feedback in the steering wheel just driving down the road... I'm guessing that's bumpsteer? If so I've got bumpsteer to the extreme, it really seems like I'm trying to hold onto the wheel more than actually drive the truck lol.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yeah, there ya go... you hit a pothole or bump, and it wants to JERK the steering wheel outta your hand...

NOW, there are ways to minimize that..

The number one being having the trac-bar run parallel to the steering link, while being the same length..

That will keep everything moving in the same plane...

I see you have the Donahoe, and 37s..

What are you running for steering dampeners?

insuffecient dampening can also give you grief...BUT... wont create, nor solve bumpsteer, but, can add to, or minimize...

Looking at the lift kit... I would start with the geometry first...

Chase

·
Who is Obama?
1,779 Posts
Ya especially since I just adjusted the trac bar until the holes lined up, I didn't know to make it parallel to the steering link lol. It was my first time lifting a truck so Im happy this is my only problem.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Bumpsteer is from the trac bar and drag link not arcing in phase as mentioned above. Parllel bars of equal length is optimal.

Alignment also may be needed if you can't let go of the wheel and have the truck go straight.

On 38s I can let go of the wheel at 95mph and my truck will stay in my lane.

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Not to be ignorant or off toic but what do traction bars do?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not Traction bars...

Trac(k) Bars...

they locate the axle(front or rear), laterally...

The 4wd S/Ds have them on the front axle..

In theory, it keeps everything moving in a set arc, to minimize, or control bumpsteer.

My Rodeo, which has a 4 link w/trac bar... has one... again, to help locate the REAR axle laterally... helps to prevetn wallowing rear on a 3 or 4 link....

In shorter travel rear ends, with 4 link, GM G Body, Ford Fox, T-bird, etc.. they dont have a trac bar, their short travel, and triangulation keep the axle located where it belongs...

In your front, TIB, or a TTB, or any other IFS or/ IRS.... there is no need for a trac bar, as the naturaly geometry, and/or radius arms help to locate things...

Chase

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Isn't the rear sway bar on my truck the same concept??

·
Registered
346 Posts
Isn't the rear sway bar on my truck the same concept??

No...

Sway bars are torsion bars, that control laterla torsional load.

When you turn a corner, or, change lanes, you feel the truck "lean" the opposite way from the direction you are shifting towards. The Sway bars, limit that weight transfer.... as one side moves, it force the other side to attempt to mimic that movement.

If that explanation isnt clear enough, I will try again tomorrow, stone sober...

But, as mentioned, the sway bar's only job, it to control/limit sway and/or body roll...

Chase

1 - 20 of 37 Posts